The Lancer Ledger

Filed under Features, Showcase

Vapes: The Unknown Threat to the World

“E Cigarettes, Vape Pens, Vaporizers and Box Mods” by Ecig Click (CC BY-SA 2.0)
No matter what shape or size it comes in, vapes and e-cigarettes are dangerous in more ways than one.

Throughout the world there has been a rise of vaping with everyone from middle schoolers to adults. Unknowingly, millions of people vape thinking they are safe from the sickness and health problems that cigarettes have been shown to have, but they aren’t. Vapes and e-cigarettes are dangerous in more ways than one, and millions of people have no idea what dangers they bring to the table.

Compared to cigarettes, vapes and e-cigarettes are said to be the healthier choice because they contain less chemicals; however, it still contains nicotine. Now nicotine is the chemical that makes both cigarettes and their electronic counterparts highly addictive and what usually gets users hooked on them instantly. In extreme cases, high exposure to this though could cause nicotine poisoning which could kill.

“Juul Pod Vape” by VaporVanity.com (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Vapes, such as the JUUL, are as addictive and full of chemicals as cigarettes.

This isn’t the only chemical though that is harmful to your health in vapes and e-cigs.In a document created by GASP of Colorado, an organization created to alleviate smoking pollution,  lists mosts of the harmful chemicals in vapes like diacetyl, which is the chemical that helps give the pods the flavoring. Now diacetyl is a chemical that can cause serious lung disease if exposed long term. Yet another chemical in vapes is called propylene glycol. It is used as a solvent, or a chemical able to dissolve substances, in food colors and flavors and is majorly used in the plastic and paint industries. Long term exposure to this chemical has many negative side effects. You may suffer from respiratory, throat and nose irritations. Vapes and e-cig pods also contains many heavy metals like nickel, tin, lead, and cadmium.

Now if the long terms of the chemicals won’t kill you, then faulty manufacturing or poor use might. In the past there has been said to be many strings of explosions in vape batteries.The first recorded vape pen explosions were in 2016, but they were minor. Since then, companies who make the pens have said they are safer, but in 2018-2019, bigger issues are still arising. In 2018, vapes and e-cigs claimed two victims, one in Florida and one in Texas. Both were killed when the vape they were using exploded in their face. They died by the shrapnel of the vape going into their heads. Now in the latest news of vape explosions, a flight was cancelled on February 13, 2019 when a vape exploded on a Delta flight in New York. The plane had to be evacuated because of it started a fire in the plane. The vape pen was in a carry on when it exploded.

Vapes and e-cigarettes are dangerous in more ways than one, and millions of people have no idea what dangers they bring to the table.”

In this day and age, many people will say vape pens are harmless and actually help people stop smoking. Smokers though are going from smoking a cigarette to vaping a product that is just as addicting and harmful. Non-smokers are starting to smoke thinking they have found a cool and safe alternative. Vaping will destroy generations if nothing is done to stop it or expand the warnings about it.