Ashton Moses, Our Unsung Hero

Lakelands Unsung Hero, Ashton Moses, after receiving his award with Ms. Patty Kebrdle and Mr. Brian Mulhern.
Lakeland’s “Unsung Hero,” Ashton Moses, after receiving his award with Ms. Patty Kebrdle and Mr. Brian Mulhern.
Courtesy of senior Ashton Moses

TThe Passaic County School Boards Association, Passaic County Education Association, and each Passaic County school district worked together in order to honor 32 seniors as their 2024 “Unsung Hero.” Lakeland Regional High School’s own senior Ashton Moses was honored with this well-deserved recognition on Monday March 11, 2024 at the honoree ceremony.

Over the winter, each faculty and staff member at Lakeland had the opportunity to nominate students they feel fit the qualities of an Unsung Hero and deserve recognition. Ashton Moses was nominated by history teacher and coach Ms. Patty Kebrdle, as well as guidance counselor Mr. Mulhern. Mr. Mulhern told both the voting panel and the Ledger that “in 25 years of education I’ve never seen someone turn it around like Ashton. He had challenges coming into high school but to his credit he crushed it over the last two years. I’ve never seen someone take an opportunity and run with it like Ashton did.” The nominations were then brought to a panel of administrators where the nominations are discussed and voted on to decide who will win the award. After voting in a unanimous decision, administrators decided Moses would be Lakeland’s 2024 Unsung Hero.

Moses shared that he found out about his nomination during a swim meet. Coach Kebrdle told him he was nominated for an award, and he was not sure what to expect. A few weeks later, Moses was greeted in guidance by Ms. Kebrdle, Mr. Mulhern, and Superintendent Mr. Hugh Beattie and told he had won the Unsung Hero award.

Moses then told the Ledger, “I was shocked and felt extremely honored to be chosen for the award. I feel very grateful to be recognized and honored as an “Unsung Hero,” especially after all that I’ve been through and overcome as a student and as a person. Two years ago, I didn’t have a clue where I was headed in life, and I honestly was just hoping to finish high school at the very least. Two years later, I am proud to say that I plan to continue my education. I am absolutely so grateful to have been gifted with these opportunities, and I am very excited for the next chapter in my life.” Moses was able to persevere through previous challenges and create opportunities for himself past graduation that may not have existed for him previously, making him truly an Unsung Hero.

Unsung Heroes have made outstanding contributions to both their school and community. These heroes are oftentimes overlooked under traditional standards, but because of their dedication, perseverance, and admirable character they overcome challenges and make their communities a better place. Guidance counselor Mr. Brian Mulhern told the Ledger, “It’s an award [that was] created last year to honor students who don’t always get the recognition they deserve.” Each high school in Passaic County is able to recognize one Unsung Hero, with the exceptions of Passaic Valley and Manchester Regional who send one student from each sending district, to a ceremony where their achievements are recognized and celebrated.

The partnership between the Passaic County School Boards Association and the Passaic County Education Association allows the county to come together in order to recognize the outstanding work the students are achieving. At the ceremony, Cassandra Lazzara, Deputy Director of the Passaic County Board of County Commissioners, offered a certification of appreciation for each of the Unsung Heroes. Dr. Sandra Montanez-Diodonet, Superintendent for the Passaic City Public School District, welcomed honorees and guests to Muhammad Ali School #23. The Passaic County Education Association was represented by President Susan Butterfield, Vice President Todd Pipkin, and many more. In addition to these directors, commissioners, and more there each honoree was accompanied by guests of their choosing. About 250 people attended the ceremony to honor the county’s heroes.

As a county and community there is a sense of both pride and comfort knowing we are surrounded by a new generation of “unsung heroes” whose resiliency, kindness, leadership, and so much more will be positive additions to society. Moses has demonstrated admirable leadership, strength of character, and serves as an extraordinary role model in Lakeland’s school community.

According to Mulhern, Moses “should be someone people look up to… [He] is not just graduating, he’s worked his tail off. He deserves this diploma and then some.”

Moses would like to leave those struggling or looking for motivation with this: “Even when you think you’re in a low place in life, never give up. You may never get the chance to see the amazing things you can accomplish if you do.”

Congratulations Ashton, Lakeland cannot wait to see all you accomplish in the future!

View Comments (5)