Lakeland News
  • The Lancer Locker is open Tuesday thru Friday from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

LRHS Honors Honoring Hispanic Heritage: Hispanic Heritage Month

LRHS takes time to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month every year. The COM Library (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Lakeland Regional High School took steps to recognize Hispanic Heritage Month, which falls every year from September 15 to October 15. The month, which is celebrated in the United States, gives recognition and thanks to the Hispanic community who have made contributions to our country through culture, food, work, music, and more. 

LRHS Erase club had put up posters around the school to give recognition to celebrate the month. On top of this, Hispanic Heritage Month was mentioned in the morning announcements to show the contributions Hispanics have made to society. There are multiple organizations at Lakeland that are Hispanic based, like LASO, the Latin American Student Organization, and the Spanish Honor Society. Here, students at LRHS can  experience the culture and foods of Hispanic culture.

Ms. Kali Spoelstra, English teacher at LRHS, celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with her English I class by reading the short story “American History” by Judith Ortiz Cofer, a prolific writer from Puerto Rico who incorporates her experiences about her Hispanic heritage while growing up in the United States. Ms. Spoelstra’s students then discussed who from the Hispanic community made an influence on them. Some students shared their personal connections through family and friends, while others discussed celebrities like Lin-Manuel Miranda, Victor Cruz, and Jenna Ortega. 

PIX11 News

Throughout America, Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated with parades all throughout the fall to celebrate each Hispanic country. Most places like New York have at most three different parades, including the 59th annual Hispanic Day Parade. 

Hispanic Heritage Month starts mid-September because many countries like Nicaragua, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala have their independence day on September 15 .