Pep Rally Spirit Leads to Lancer Victory

The Lancer football team took on rivals the West Milford Highlanders in turf field opening night victory.
The Lakeland community came out in force to support the boys football team against the New Milford Highlanders.
Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed

IIt was a good day to be a Lancer! Lakeland Regional High School hailed in the fall sports season and ribbon cutting of the turf field with a Fall Pep Rally and first home football game on the new turf on Friday, September 22, 2023.

The pep rally set the tone of Lancer Pride as boys football were set to face their rivals, the West Milford Highlanders, in that evening. With the help of many staff members and students, football Coach Ryan McCarney put together the school-wide event, which was inclusive of all the fall sports with the rally including band and colorguard, cross country, boys and girls soccer, volleyball, field hockey, and football. 

Lakeland’s band director and resident DJ, Mr. Matthew Testa, kept the energy high as students and staff entered the gym. The Lancer band then kicked off the event with the playing of the national anthem. 

Mr. Michael Novak, MC and assistant superintendent, then welcomed all of this year’s fall captains. The band followed up with a showcase of their halftime show, featuring songs by David Bowie and Elton John. Following this, each sport showcased their players and skills with crowd pleasing games including tug-a-war, and a field goal challenge.

The cheer team closed team festivities with multiple energizing dance routines that included LRHS staff and students, as athletes invited a beloved teacher or staff member to join in on the routine.

Mr. Jared Luciani, physical education teacher and football coach,expressed his love for the event, stating that he thinks “it’s great.” He continued, explaining, “This is about school spirit. With the opening of the new turf field, everyone was excited and happy to be there.” 

Coach McCarney ended the event encouraging everyone to come out for a great night. 

And a great night it was… 

According to football wide receiver and cornerback senior Sean Walker, the night could only be described as electric. 

The ribbon cutting ceremony was a success, with Superintendent Mr. Hugh Beattie and members of Lakeland’s Board of Education on hand the celebrate the long awaited turf field. The Class of 1973 joined in on the celebration, celebrating their fifieth class reunion.

The Lakeland community showed up – the student section of the stands was so packed that overflow was needed. Fans showed they feared no deer by coming decked out in camo and face paint. 

The Lakeland band and cheerleaders gave show stopping performances that set the tone of victory for both players and fans alike. 

On the field, senior Andrew Gancy got the Lancers on the board with a defensive touchdown on the opening drive. 

Junior Collin Sabric, who was nominated by NorthJersey.com as North Jersey Player of Week following the game, helped secure a Lancer victory with one rushing touchdown and passing touchdown that went through the air and hit Walker for a 39 yard touchdown to extend the Lancer lead to 21-7.

After Friday night’s game, Lancer varsity football has a record of 4-1. Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed

On his season so far, Sabric shared with NorthJersey.com, “I feel a lot more comfortable with my guys this year compared to last year. I’m comfortable in the pocket knowing my line gives me a lot of time.” 

To conclude the action, Junior Jeremy O’Hernandez came through with a rushing touchdown.

The Lakeland football team showed it was a bad day to be a Highlighter  with a 28-7 win over the Highlanders.