Lakeland News
  • The Lancer Locker is open Tuesday thru Friday from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

One in 25: Senior Diya Kumrah, a NJ Student Leader

Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed
Diya (middle) with her family, Assistant Superintendent Mr. Novak, and counselor Ms. Matlosz when presented with the award.

Lakeland Regional High School senior, Diya Kumrah, was awarded with the NJPSA Student Leadership Scholarship on May 29, 2024. She was one in 25 seniors throughout the whole state to receive the honor.

After being asked what it felt like to receive this award Kumrah said, “I felt beyond honored! I was really shocked too, because I wasn’t expecting to win.”

Kumrah received the award based on her leadership within LRHS. During her tenure at the school, she has served as president of National Honors Society and the DEM Club, the school’s medical club. Kumrah was also involved with running different school events, playing a major role in the Service’s Club Relay for Life the past two years. Apart from her school activities, she is always willing to lend a helping hand.

When asked what advice she could give others looking to be a leader in the school, Kumrah said, “I would advise others to not only hold a leadership position, but demonstrate the qualities. A leader is not just a title on paper. A leader is someone who is willing to guide others to be the best version of themselves.”

Diya Kumrah, pictured with the other winners, at the 2024 NJPSA ceremony. (Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed)

According to NJPSA, the New Jersey Principals and Supervisors Association, this program provides a $2,000 leadership scholarship to seniors who constantly display their school and community leadership in non-athletic ways. Winners of the scholarship are selected through three different regions of north, central, and south by applications received from districts. Governor Phil Murphy told the NJPSA, “The level of dedication and commitment these students demonstrate to their chosen activities is truly remarkable and inspirational, I have no doubt that these future leaders of society will continue to work hard and serve their communities, and NJPSA is proud to recognize their contributions in this way.”

Kumrah shared with the Ledger that she was unaware that the award existed before Lakeland’s School Counseling Department informed her of the opportunity, a great reminder for juniors and seniors to check in with their counselors about scholarship opportunities.

Kumrah has definitely made her mark at LRHS and has said how she is very grateful for teachers and counselors who recommended her for the amazing opportunity.