Lakeland Art Show 2024: A Celebration of This Year’s Creativity and Hard Work

Allison Doran
A bright and colorful welcome to the LRHS Art Show in the Media Center.

Lakeland Regional High School’s art teachers and artists held an Art Show to display and celebrate student’s art from throughout this school year. The Art Show was held in the Media Center on the evening of May 30, 2024.

This year, the art show had a new theme—a senior featured artist show. This was a special showcase within the art show to display the art of seniors who have taken three or more art classes. Art teacher, Ms. Kory Mellon, explained that she was excited to see how everything comes together, especially the new senior feature, and she couldn’t wait to see the result, as well as the joy it brings to the students.

The Ledger also reached out to some of the students who will be displaying their art in the art show to gather their feedback about this year’s event, and all of the artists showed excitement. Senior Heather Slepakoff hopes that her works will inspire others, just as her peers’ art have inspired her. Senior Nicole Arzayus and junior Mia Conway share how they love to have their peers see their work, and show the progress that they’ve made as artists. Senior Emily Prior looks forward to showing off the art she and her peers have worked hard on, and senior Kate Rose looks forward to looking at all of the art of her classmates and peers. Senior Isabella Hennessy shared how she was nervous about sharing her art, but over the past year she’s grown and gained confidence in her abilities. Now, she is excited to have her art displayed.

Allison Doran, Lancer Ledger writer, is one of Lakeland’s talented artist featured in the art show. (Lancer Ledger)

Senior Leyana Kaghdou expressed her appreciation for the teachers who organized the show, saying, “All of the art teachers at Lakeland are very dedicated and are putting in a lot of hard work to make this happen for us. I thank them so much for their time and effort.” She then also expressed that she was looking forward to seeing other’s art and having her own on display.

The artists all also shared their favorite projects that they were most excited for others to see. Kaghdou’s favorite piece she has in the show is her “Animal Eyes” drawing, Prior’s favorites were her coral reef from Ceramics & Sculpture and her value drawing for Fashion Illustration II, Rose’s favorite was her Art I puzzle piece, Conway’s favorite was a portrait of an old lady she completed, and Hennessy’s favorite of her submitted pieces was her contour lines hand project.

The Ledger also asked these upperclassmen artists what art classes they’d recommend to their underclassmen. Slepakoff recommends Graphic Design I & II as a good class for artists of any level, saying that it is a nice break from traditional art. Kaghdou recommends both Art I and Ceramics & Sculpture as a good way to get started with art classes, as each are strong introductions to their mediums. Hennessy suggests underclassmen who enjoy art take Art II, as it puts students’ skills to the test without being too difficult. Lasly, Arzayus recommends the Drawing & Painting course to all underclassmen with a strong passion for art because it gives the students more freedom than the earlier art classes.

All of the artists whose art was displayed in the Art Show are very talented and dedicated. The show is a fantastic opportunity for these young artists to showcase their talents, and share this skill & passion of theirs with others. The teachers who put together the art show are equally as dedicated, and have done a fantastic job guiding the students, and helping them reach their art goals.