The Unified Club Takes on the Red Bull Arena

Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed
Leaders and members of the Unified Club were granted custom jerseys.

Lakeland Regional High School Unified athletes played at the Red Bull Stadium on  before a professional soccer match.

Two stars on the Unified team, seniors Rolando Sanchez and Aaron Freyre, told the Ledger about their experience at the Red Bull Arena. Sanchez said, “It was good to participate in a team.” Freyre mentioned, “It was very entertaining, and I liked when they scored goals.” The two athletes were joined by Unified Club members junior Emily Keberdle and freshman Mia Bozan.

Other Unified Club teams that joined LRHS were Mount Olive, Union City, and West Morris. After playing in a match that ended in a tie, the Unified team watched the Red Bulls win. The day ended with the Unified players having fun and making new friends.

The Unified Club at LRHS inspires students to take an active role in laying the foundation for more inclusive and accepting communities. The club is funded by the Special Olympics of N.J., and is open to all students.

Ms. Patty Keberdle, advisor of the Unified Club, told the Ledger more about the club itself. When asked how students can join, she said, “Any student interest can show up at a Unified event. They can email the leaders or advisor to get themselves put into Google Classroom for updates.” When asked about other activities this club plans and takes part of, Ms. Keberdle stated that some of the events include the Soccer Cup, bowling trip, Powerlifting Showcase, ceramic painting, fundraiser sales, Autism Acceptance Campaign, Uno Tournament, Unified basketball game, and the Down Syndrome Awareness Campaign.