LRHS Juniors Prepare for NJGPA: What You Should Know

After+juniors+test+in+the+mornings+of+Tuesday%2C+March+12+-+Friday%2C+March+15%2C+the+district+will+run+under+a+two+hours+and+30+minute+delayed+opening+scheduled+%28pictured+here%29.+
After juniors test in the mornings of Tuesday, March 12 – Friday, March 15, the district will run under a two hours and 30 minute delayed opening scheduled (pictured here).

Lakeland Regional High School juniors are required to take the New Jersey Graduation Proficiency Assessment (NJGPA). The test, which is a graduate requirement set by New Jersey’s Department of Education (DOE), will be taken from Tuesday, March 12 – Friday, March 15, 2024. 

This test involves two units of English and math, and scores will range between 650-850 for each section. According to New Jersey’s State Department of Education, in order for seniors to be approved for graduation, they must meet the cut score of at least 725 on both the ELA and mathematics portions of the NJGPA. 

Only once students take the NJGPA and the cut score is not met can they take an alternative “pathway.” This includes taking and meeting the cutscore for any of the following tests: ACT, Accuplacer, PSAT 10, PSAT/NMSQT, and/or SAT. If a student does not meet the state graduation requirement there, they will then have the opportunity to submit a NJDOE Portfolio Appeal for ELA and/or math, depending on which sections of the test the cutscore was not met. 

LRHS hosts portfolio appeal classes for seniors who are on the second and third pathways, and has had success in helping graduating seniors meet their graduation requirement. 

LRHS math and English teachers have been preparing their students for the assessment by focusing on content and skills of the test. Students are encouraged to get into a position to be successful and to put their best effort into this test to succeed, this includes knowing your testing location (see below) and bringing a charged Chromebook, wired headphones, and a TI83/TI84 calculator. If a student does not have headphones or a calculator, they will be provided. 

For students freshmen, sophomores, and seniors not taking the NJGPA, the school will be operating on a 2 hour and 30 minute delayed opening, with the school day starting at 10:00 a.m. Students who take the bus should report to their stops 2 hours and 5 minutes later than they normally would. Any students who arrive at LRHS early will go to the West Gym.