What Happens if Trump is Convicted but Also Elected President?

“Donald Trump Signs The Pledge” by Michael Vadon (CC BY-SA 2.0.)
The U.S. Constitution doesn’t explicitly prohibit a presidential candidate from running for office even if convicted or imprisoned.

Former President Donald J. Trump is currently facing a hush money trial. He is also currently running for a second term as President of the United States in the 2024 election that will be held on Tuesday, November 5. So, what happens if he is convicted, but also elected? Can he run the country from prison?

According to NBC Washington, he can.

“A convicted or imprisoned felon can not only campaign for president and other federal offices, but also be elected,” as said in an NBC Washington article. There is nothing stated in the U.S. Constitution that states a president cannot run while indicted or even convicted. The only eligibility requirements for presidents are that they have to be “at least 35 years old, be a natural-born citizen of the United States, and have been a resident of the country for at least 14 years.” This means that, “In theory, the former president could be sworn in from jail, prison, or home confinement” if he is elected, according to the Economic Times.

In an interesting segment of the NBC Washington article, it reads that although Trump may not lose his ability to run for president if he is convicted of a felony, he may end up losing his right to vote. Being registered to vote in Florida, “where most disenfranchised felons do not regain their right to vote until after completing their full sentence, including parole or probation,” would ensure this.

If Trump does run from prison, this wouldn’t be the first time someone has. As reported by NBC Washington, during World War I Eugene V. Debs was imprisoned for speaking against the war, and was convicted. However, he still ran as nominee for the Socialist party and managed to collect about 915,000 votes or about three percent.

Although if convicted and sentenced to jail time, Trump likely would not be held in a state penitentiary due to security risk, only time will tell if he will become the United States president once more, and if his second term will be from within the White House or serving time elsewhere.

View Comments (2)