National News Review – February 5, 2024

Read a highlight of the top news stories of the week, brought to you by the Lancer Ledger staff writers.
Lancer Ledger
Check in weekly for a national news update.

A Bipartisan Boarder Deal Proposal

The senate released a bipartisan security deal on Sunday, February 4, that would change standing asylum laws. According to CBS News, the new bill could put limitations on those seeking asylum during times of increased illegal immigration. According to the bill, the proposed asylum system could be implemented only during a border emergency where over a 7-day period, an average of 4,000 migrants are encountered each day. 

Although the bill is expected to get some Republican support, conservative senators, including House Speak Mike Johnson have been quoted calling the deal, “Dead on arrival.”

With all the discussion on border control and policy, the last major border bill to be passed was in 1990, and Arizona senior Senator Kyrsten Sinema, who worked on the bill, released a statement saying, “There is a crisis at our border, and our bipartisan border security package fixes it. Now, senators must make a decision: pass our package and solve the crisis or accept the status quo, do nothing, and keep playing politics while our system breaks and our communities continue to suffer. I choose to secure the border, protect Arizona border communities, fix our broken system, and finally solve the border crisis.”

Taylor Swift Makes Headlines… Again

Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Taylor Swift fans were given a lot to celebrate during the 2024 Emmy Awards. Swift made history by winning album of the year for the fourth time in her career with her record Midnights. According to NBC News, her Grammy win means she surpassed Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, and Paul Simon, who were all tied with album of the year wins at three each. 

While taking home another Grammy for best pop album, during her speech, Swift surprised fans with an announcement of a new record: Tortured Poets Department, which will be released on April 19. Swifties of the world went wild on social media forums trying to find the meaning behind the new album’s title and connect it to her life and relationships. 

More Wild Weather Hits the West Coast

FOX 11 Los Angeles

A state of emergency has been declared in 10 California counties, with a heavy rainfall expected to hit the states throughout today. The National Weather Services warns of life threatening flash floods in southern California, while mountainous regions in northern California have areas experiencing a snow storm with winds up to 60 mph. In southern California, the rain may cause other natural catastrophes such as mudslides, and some parts of LA are going to get half a year’s worth of rain by Tuesday

According to the BBC, this weather pattern is caused by an “atmospheric river,” which is a long stream of dense moisture caused by water evaporating into the air. This is the second “atmospheric river” to hit California in a week.