The Truth and Aftermath of the Starbucks Boycott

“Starbucks in Palo Alto” by Vasenka Photography (CC-BY-2.0)
This storefront located in California, a popular state for Starbucks boycotts.

Starbucks is known for its signature coffee, frappuccinos, and other sweet treats. However, recently Starbucks is also known for facing backlash that may have cost the company tons of money. Although Starbucks is being boycotted throughout the world due to a post linked with support of Palastine, sources come out to say the situation has been blown out of proportion.

According to Snopes.com, two days after the Hamas attack on October 7, 2023, a person in control of the X account for the Starbucks Workers United union posted a controversial statement: “Solidarity of Palestine.” The Starbucks Workers United union is made up of Starbucks employees. That being said, the company of Starbucks has no management over the account or its posts, and the union has no direct connection with Starbucks headquarters or corporation.

Then, on October 11, 2023, a statement was published on the Starbucks website. The company expressed sympathy for “the innocent in Israel and Gaza.” Starbucks didn’t specifically say they supported Israel, and the closest Snopes could find linking Starbucks to any ‘support’ of one side or the other was from former chairman and CEO, Howard Schultz, who had shown support for a Jewish group who called out the unionized Starbucks stores claiming thousands of Starbucks employees supported Hamas.

In the end, Starbucks stocks dropped, leaving the company and Starbucks Workers United Union suing each other for the money lost and false claims made against each other. Although there’s no hard proof to confirm this loss was caused by boycotts, Starbucks had their reputation tarnished and financial performance altered with signs pointing towards the boycott.