National News Review – January 9, 2023

Read a highlight of the top news stories of the week, brought to you by the Lancer Ledger staff writers.
Lancer Ledger
Check in weekly for a national news update.

Power Storms Moving In

A fierce storm is hitting the tri-state area, including the Lakeland community, bringing the potential flooding on Tuesday into Wednesday. On top of flooding concerns, the storm is projected to bring damaging winds and wind gusts, with 50 mile per hour gusts projected for our area, according to News 12.

Due to the projected forecast, Lakeland Regional High School canceled all after school events for Tuesday, January 9, including clubs. 

Other parts of the country are experiencing intense weather as well, with snow the Midwest dealing with winter weather and the Southeast dealing with power storm systems. 

Pope’s Call to Ban Surrogacy

Yesterday, Pope Francis called for a ban of surrogacy, believing it to be “deplorable” and as a sort of disgrace to typical birth. Although this declaration comes as a shock to many, according to CNN, the Catholic Church has stood against surrogacy and in vitro fertilization as it “depersonalizes conception.” Surrogacy is already outlawed in Italy.

In connection to this proclamation, Pope Francis has been known to call out wealthier countries’ lifestyles and their lack of reverence for human life. 

Just last month, Pope Francis made headlines when he allowed Roman Catholic priests to begin to bless same-sex couples. 

New Campaign Strategy: “Free Speech and Free Drinks”

Republican candidate Vivek Ramaswamy has an interesting campaign strategy: offer free drinks to college students. Throughout his campaign, Ramaswamy has been hosting what his campaign bills as “Free Speech and Free Drinks” events on college campuses, where the multimillionaire picks up the bar tab for students in exchange for their attention as he tries to persuade them to caucus for the first time. 

However, NBC News reports that this strategy led to some consequences to Ramaswamy, as many of the college students weren’t interested in what the candidate had to say, and just used him for free beer on his dime. These students also were loud and disruptive during Ramaswamy’s speeches.

The Iowa caucuses are on January 15, 2024.