National News Review – December 8, 2023

Read a highlight of the top news stories of the week, brought to you by the Lancer Ledger staff writers.
Lancer Ledger
Check in weekly for a national news update.

2024 Election

Although former President Trump has dodged attending any of the Republican presidential debates, despite judgment from his opponents, it does not mean he is not out campaigning. According to ABC, Trump has attended many fundraisers in order to promote his reelection bid

Abortion Pill

Abortion rights is a dividing issue, and currently the Supreme Court is discussing whether to hear a case about access to the abortion pill, specifically Mifeprex. According to ABC News, currently, the hearing would be on the specifics of whether it will be available to order through the mail, and whether there are any restrictions or limited access on this mailing. A final decision may be delivered late Friday. 

Hunter Biden Indictment 

In breaking news Friday morning, Hunter Biden, the president’s son, has been indicted on nine tax related charges. According to NBC, these include filling a fraudulent form, failing to file, and evading an assessment. This isn’t the first criminal case against Biden, and comes with the possibility of a 17-year prison sentence. 

Putin’s Reelection

Russian President Vladimir Putin has announced that he is running for another six years of presidency. Even though he has put a tremendous amount of funds and brought fighting into Russia with the war in Ukraine, Putin is still the front runner and, according to NBC News, will likely win the election.

After a short-lived rebellion in January, the people wondered if Putin would still be the front runner. Instead, after the leader of the rebellion miraculously disappeared, it is more clear than ever Putin is the front runner. Throughout his presidency, Putin has  used his leverage to amend the constitution twice in order to stay in power until he’s in his mid-80s. His term is the longest-serving  leader in the country since Soviet dictator Josef Stalin.