Lakeland Boys Soccer 2021: A Season to Remember

Senior+Michael+Robinson++led+the+team+with+goals%2C+with+a+total+of+17.+

Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook

Senior Michael Robinson led the team with goals, with a total of 17.

Lakeland boys soccer team was a force to be reckoned with. With a record of 10-10-1 for the 2021 season, the varsity boys made it to the state tournament as the eleventh seed.

Every team’s goal for the season is to make states. However, at the middle of the season, the boys had a record of 5-9, and there was a fear that they wouldn’t make the tournament. But, Coach Scott Bosma told The Ledger that they turned that right around by going on a four game winning streak, beating Passaic Valley, Lodi, Eastside, and Columbia to earn their spot at states. 

Senior forward Michael Robinson led his team in goals this season, scoring 17, leading the league with 8 assists. This year, he made first team all-league and first team all-county, ending his high school career on a high. 

Despite a rough start to the season, the boys soccer team came back strong to make it to the state tournament.

Additionally, sophomore Victor Ciach made honorable mention for the league along with four shootouts. The goalie was the key for the boys team getting into states this year, when in a game against Columbia High School, the boys were down 2-0 at halftime, but Ciach came in clutch to help the team win 3-2 in overtime, securing their spot in states.

At the first game of the state tournament, the boys were losing 1-0, but with penalty kicks, they upsetted No. 6 seed Riverdell High School and knocked them out. In the second game, the team faced No. 2 seed, Newton High School. The team played a tough game, but they unfortunately lost 2-0,  ending their season.

Next year, the team will be young with 10 seniors graduating this year. Coach Bosma tells The Lancer Ledger that the boys team hasn’t been below a .500 record in the past ten years, and he hopes that with new talent stepping up next year, they can keep that streak going.