NBA Next Decade Bold Predictions

Nathan Caldwell

The next decade of the NBA starts up after a thrilling 10 seasons in the 2010s.

With the next decade of the NBA starting up, The Lancer Ledger makes some predictions.

LeBron James and Bronny James to Team Up

LeBron James has been one of the most dominant players in the NBA.  Multiple reports say he has expressed interest in playing with his eldest son in the NBA, including Bleacher Report.  His contract is set to expire at the end of the 2021-2022.  

LeBron James Jr., or “Bronny” James is currently a freshman at Sierra Canyon High School.  Bronny will graduate high school in 2023. If the NBA abolishes the “one-and-done” rule by this point, Bronny could go straight from high school to pro, just like his father.  If not, Bronny would need to go to college before getting drafted by an NBA team in the 2024 draft.

By Eleven Warriors – Lebron “Bronny” James Jr.(CC BY-SA 2.0)
LeBron “Bronny” James Jr. isn’t one of the most dominant high school players in the country like his father was, but he does have time, potential, and talent in other areas of his game.

During Bronny’s senior and possible freshman college years, LeBron Sr. would need to sign a one or two year deal to hit free agency at the same time Bronny is eligible for the draft.

After Bronny would be drafted, LeBron James Sr. would sign a one-year deal with the team that drafted his son.  Old and out of prime, James Sr. would most likely sign for a small amount and play as a role player and mentor for his son.  This would be the first father-son duo of players to step on an NBA court together.

Giannis Antetokounmpo wins 5 MVPs total

Giannis Antetokounmpo is averaging 29.7 points and 13.7 rebounds a game during the 2019-2020 NBA season, according to Basketball Reference.  This is by far his best year, and after winning MVP last year, he could easily go back to back.   He is only 25 years old, one of the best players in the league, has room to improve his game, and could easily play through the next decade of basketball.

NBA All-Decade First team

PG: Young SG: Dončić SF: Antetokounmpo PF: Davis C: Embiid

The NBA announces a starting five of the best players in each position at the end of the decade.  These are the players who impacted the league the most in the decade, winning the most awards, championships, and racking up the best statistics.  Currently, the league is set up with many young stars who may make it on to that team during the 2020s. Small forward, Giannis Antetokounmpo, as discussed above, may put up a case for greatest of all time.  Current sophomore year guards, Trae Young and Luka Dončić, are already taking big steps in the league, both averaging over 28 points and 8 assists this season. They will both drastically improve their game over the following years and make a big impact on the league.  The power forward spot will most likely be given to Anthony Davis who is already a star in the league, but will surely become an even bigger force in the league in the next decade. Joel Embiid will most likely win the Center spot. He is already considered one of the best in the league, averaging a double-double during the 2019-2020.

By Alexander Jonesi – Flickr, (CC BY-SA 2.0) 
Trae Young is one of the best in the league already.

A New Rivalry: Atlanta Hawks and Dallas Mavericks

As discussed above, Young (Hawks) and Dončić (Mavericks) are already some of the best guards of the league.  Both guards are in different conferences, meaning they could both lead their teams to the finals and face each other there.  Adding to the case for a possible rivalry is the fact that both guards were drafted in the same year and they were traded for each other.  A young and talented Hawks team will back Young with players like Clint Capela, John Collins, Cam Reddish, and De’Andre Hunter. The Hawks, while struggling currently, will grow together and blossom into a great team.  The Mavericks, however, also have Kristaps Porziņģis, another young star who will bring another force to the Mavericks’ game.  These two teams are so talented, yet they have so much room to grow. This rivalry may be one such as the Cleveland Cavaliers’ and Golden State Warriors’ rivalry of the 2010s.