English or French? A Guide for the Indecisive

Photo by dog madic from FreeImages

Pick a language that will benefit you in the long run.

At Lakeland Regional High School, students are given the choice of which language to learn throughout high school – French or Spanish. However, the question many students ask is: which one should I take and why? 

Here are some helpful tips in the choosing the right language that will benefit you:

Why Choose Spanish?
For those who plan on staying in state, it’s important to take note that 2.6 million citizens here in New Jersey speak Spanish. That’s 15% of the population according to NJ.com, compared to the 5,000 French speakers here in state according to NJspotlight.com. New Jersey has a higher percentage of Spanish speakers than the national average. So if you plan on staying in state, it is much more useful to know Spanish.

Why Choose French?
While French may be spoken sparsely, it is used as the second language of diplomacy, next to English. French is commonly spoken at the international level, such as at the United Nations or at the Olympics. French is also the official language of Quebec, Canada, which is only a quick drive away. For somebody looking to go into an international job, the French language may benefit you well.

The Choice is Yours, but Which is Better?
Simply put, Spanish may be the better choice of language for an English-only speaker living in the Garden State. According to NJTVnews, English native speakers make up 71.4 % of New Jersey’s population. Spanish is more commonly used throughout our home state and is generally said to be easier to learn. 

Although Spanish is much more useful for everyday use, French is the language of diplomacy. If you are looking to go into foreign policy and government, French may be the better choice for you.