LRHS Students Take Home Medals in Special Olympic Games

LRHS+athletics+about+to+board+the+bus+for+the+Special+Olympics+were+shown+support+with+a+Clap+Out.+

The Lancer Ledger

LRHS athletics about to board the bus for the Special Olympics were shown support with a Clap Out.

Lakeland Regional’s athletes competed at the Special Olympics Summer Games from June 7-9, 2019 at The College of New Jersey with LRHS student athletes competing in track-and-field and bocce.

The students who participated in the track-and-field events were Lancer athletes Jackie Scharr, Aaron Freyre, Thomas Williams, Ian Garcia, Owen Rogers, and Nick Hughes. The LRHS athletes who represented for bocce were Madison Cutri, Kelsey Norton, and Nick Napalitano.

Special Olympic athletes were given a ton of support by the LRHS community. Before athletes departed for the games on Friday, June 7, the faculty, staff, and the student body wished the participants luck with a “clap out.” The well-wishing also included the LRHS band playing songs to set a mood of love and encouragement for the competing athletes.

Photo courtesy of LRHS Special Olympics Team
Students competing in this years games on behalf of LRHS.

According to the Special Olympics New Jersey’s official website, the track events consist of assisted walk, walk, dash, run, relay, walk relay, wheelchair race, wheelchair shuttle relay, wheelchair slalom, and motorized wheelchair obstacle race. The bocce event is not only meant to have athletes compete in the game, but allows them to  contact socially and develop physically.

The Special Olympics New Jersey included the following events: bocce, gymnastics, tennis, softball, swimming, powerlifting, and track and field.

According to their official website, the Special Olympics organization holds training and events to children and adults with intellectual and physical disabilities. It’s the largest sports organization in the world and caters to 5 million athletes in 172 countries.

The Special Olympics and its participants at TCNJ.

The Lakeland athletes took home many metals and had a great time, and look forward to doing the Special Olympics in the future.