Lakeland Lacrosse ’19: Comeback Season

Boys+lacrosse+is+looking+to+make+a+strong+comeback+for+the+2019+season.+

Photo courtesy of Liam Canning

Boys lacrosse is looking to make a strong comeback for the 2019 season.

Lakeland Regional High School’s boys varsity lacrosse led by head coach Jessie Kolodin holds serious intentions of redemption for the 2019 season. After a record of only 7 wins outnumbered by eleven losses last year, the team simply cannot be more ambitious and ready for what is to come. Last year’s captains CC Castiglia and Anthony Scafuro left rather large shoes to fill due to how committed each made themselves to Lakeland lacrosse since their 2015 season, both ending their Lancer careers as four-year starters. But with strong players stepping up with lead the team, the Lancers are looking to make a comeback and come out of the 2019 season stronger than ever. 

Coach Kolodin and assistant coach Ryan Sottolano are now accompanied by a new defensive coach, who is also Lakeland alumni from the Class of 2014, Connor Evans. Evans is a former Lakeland goalie, making him not only an exceptional commander of the defense, but extremely relatable to the players as well.

When asked what to expect from the team’s defense, Evans simply stated, “Absolute dominance.” He continued, “We have so many great attributes that can make us completely shut off offenses. Lots of quick, physical defenders; a fast, dominate LSM (long stick midfielder); and …two really good defensive midfielders [which is so rare to have on a team]. We have all the pieces to be a defensive powerhouse.” Evans could not be more exuberant toward the team from a defensive standpoint.

The Ledger asked the former goalie what his initial reaction was like when he was first hired and added to the staff. He answered, “I couldn’t be more thrilled,” beaming with excitement. “Once I stopped playing for my college lacrosse team, I felt like something was missing in my life, like there was some sort of void. Being hired and becoming a coach filled that void, bringing me back to my love for lacrosse. I honestly couldn’t be more excited.” It is hype like Evans’ that brings true energy and overall ambition to the young team.

Returning starters from last year’s 2018 season are as follows:

Lancer lacrosse have their eyes set on counties and states. Photo courtesy of Liam Canning

Defense: Seniors Jake Devore and Adonai Thompson, junior Nick Anderson, sophomore Liam Canning, junior LSM Brian Barna along with two senior defensive midfielders/fogos Joey Pricken and Jake Ryan. Starting goalie Matt Focarino comes back for his junior season after having a strong 64 saves as a sophomore last year, playing under former goalie “Scuffy” for the past two seasons. Sophomore Connor Kennedy is another young goalie returning to the varsity roster.  

Offense: Senior attackmen JJ Calendrillo and JC Mertz, with sophomore Jake Querazzi, who scored 11 goals as a freshman. The midfield lineup contains seniors Justin Pasquale, Luke Joyce, with Lakeland Football’s finest quarterback, Michael McKay, and sophomore Jack Nyhuis.

Unlike last year’s roster, which included only three seniors, the team has become a senior powerhouse, being led by nine Lancer lacrosse veterans, specifically, captains Devore, Calendrillo, and Pricken. These three seniors have committed their lives to lacrosse ever since they were young. They not only deserve their vital role as the team’s captains, but they deserve their final ride here at Lakeland to end with a county championship win.

In fact, when asked of his expectations for the 2019 season, Devore directly stated: “County championship.” Devore transitions between close defense and long stick midfielder. He finished last season with an impressive 68 ground balls and 22 caused turnovers. He is now committed to play lacrosse for another four years at King’s College in Wilkes Bare, Pennsylvania.

Once asked about his favorite memory regarding his Lakeland Lancer lacrosse career Devore, with a smile on his face, stated, “Definitely beating up on DePaul every year.” Last year, Lakeland defeated the Spartans with an overwhelming score of 11-4.  The Lancers do not face DePaul again until April 18th, here on Lakeland’s field.

Devore’s best friend and another senior captain, Calendrillo, could not be more pumped for the start of his final season as an attackman for the team. The University of Delaware prospect ended his junior season with 42 ground balls, 68 points, 38 assists, and 30 goals, one goal being an overtime winner against Ramsey. Calendrillo is always looking for a challenge and will do whatever it takes to improve. When asked about his expectations for the upcoming season he openly stated, “I expect everyone to work hard and give this season everything they’ve got. We can only get what we put in, so the outcome of this season is only in our control.”

Calendrillo is definitely a captain the entire team looks up to. He works hard constantly when no one is watching and wants to win. That is something no opposing team nor defender can take from him.

Moreover, junior defender Anderson returns for his third year as a starter. The young defensemen left his sophomore year behind with 26 ground balls and 21 caused turnovers. He is a dominant defender that has stick skills an opponent does not exactly look forward to testing. When asked of his expectations he confidently said: “I want a state ring.”   

Whether the 2019 season of Lakeland lacrosse follows the same conflict it did in 2018 or overcomes the past to revive the program to a dominant and successful season remains reliant on this year’s team. Coach Kolodin is confident in capability of rising up to the team’s true potential, leading to only more years of winning seasons further down the line into the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

With the season just beginning, time is the team’s greatest advantage at the moment. The Lancer lacrosse team of 2019 has a chance to claim that county championship victory one more time.