The Lancer Ledger

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Saints Robbed of a Super Bowl

Back to Article
Back to Article

Saints Robbed of a Super Bowl

Lancer Ledger

Lancer Ledger

Lancer Ledger

With every player’s lifelong dream on the line, championship Sunday is one of the greatest days of the year for football fans. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a great day for the Saints, who believe that they have been robbed of a Super Bowl appearance after an obvious pass interference was not called.

The Los Angeles Rams(13-3) headed east on January 20th to take on the New Orleans Saints(13-3) in a thrilling NFC championship game. LA came out on top, getting a trip to the Super Bowl.

However, the Saints are unhappy with the referees about what could have been a game winning drive.

On the Rams’ 13 yard line, the Saints faced third and 10. Quarterback Drew Brees passed it to the right trying to hit wide receiver Tommylee Lewis to convert on third and long.

Covering him was Nickell Robey-Coleman, who should have been penalized for the collision he made with Lewis before the ball got to him, which should have been obviously called for a pass interference.

Had the penalty been called, it would have automatically gave the Saints the first down inside the five yard line, where they could have ran out the clock and scored to win the game.

However, the Saints had to kick a field goal and give the ball back to Rams’ QB Jared Goff with 1:45 left to play.

The Rams kicked a field goal to tie and send the game into overtime, where the Saints won the coin toss and threw an interception to strong safety John Johnson III a few plays in. With good field position, the Rams started their drive, and place kicker Greg Zuerlein punched in their ticket to the Super Bowl with a 57 yard field goal.

With many of the fans, coaches and players upset with the call, the NFL is dealing with being sued by angry fans.

Many Saints fans and players, including star wide receiver Michael Thomas, tweeted “Rule 17 section 2 article 3.” This rule states,“The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.” Which means that the NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is allowed to call back the game and continue it to where the interference wasn’t called. This, however, is highly unlikely.

With Vikings’ Stefon Diggs scoring the game winner last year in the Divisional Round, and the missed call this year, the Saints suffer another heartbreaking playoff loss, hoping next year they will get to where they want to be: the Super Bowl.

About the Writer
Frankie Covelli, Staff Writer

Frankie is a freshman at LRHS and staff writer for The Lancer Ledger. Frankie plays baseball, is an avid sports fan, and found a knack for sports writing...