LRHS’ Own Presents at Exceptional Children’s Conference

Courtesy of Ms. Gawron

Ms. Gawron presenting a break out room session at the Exceptional Childrens Conference with her student teacher, Ms. Larco.

The New Jersey Exceptional Children’s Conference was held at Ramapo College on March 13, 2023, giving educators throughout the state the opportunity to attend various workshops and hear from a wide range of speakers on social emotional learning for exceptional children, or gifted children with disabilities. Lakeland’s own art teacher, Ms. Valerie Gawron and her student teacher, Ms. Lauren Larco, spoke at the conference.

Ms. Gawron and Ms. Larco presented a “make-and-take” session titled “What is your WHY?” According to Ms. Gawron, the session was a 30-minute presentation that focused on how teachers can connect to their students and incorporate social and emotional learning through artwork in any classroom setting. Ms. Gawron told the Ledger, “This was the first year the conference was back in person since COVID-19, but there will absolutely be more in the future!”

LRHS students taking part in the Exceptional Childrens Conference and selling out their artwork booth. (Courtesy of Ms. Gawron)

The conference also welcomed LRHS’ own exceptional students to set up a booth and sell their exceptional artwork to attendees. Ms. Gawron stated students loved being at the event and sold out their table, making around $400.00 in profit.

Ms. Gawron stated, “I felt great attending this event! Being that I am currently pursuing my Masters in Special Education at Ramapo College, I have been aware of this event and having the opportunity to not only present but also bring LRHS students was amazing!”

According to the Council of Exceptional Children’s website, the conference was open to all educators and including both a keynote speaker and over 25 different breakout sessions, including the one Ms. Gawron and Ms. Larco hosted. The Council of Exceptional Children has over 1,500 members and strives to improve education for exceptional children with disabilities and/or the gifted.