An Excellent Turnout for Lakeland’s 2022 Blood Drive

Morgan Uhlhorn

LRHS Student Council set up the gym to host the annual blood drive, an event that had a great turn out this year.

An exceptional collective of students and staff participated in the annual blood drive, hosted by Lakeland Regional High School’s Student Council, partnering with the American Red Cross. Staff were hopeful to have even a small portion of students participate in the blood drive this year, and were pleasantly surprised when more than expected turned up.

In total, 36 people donated their blood at this year’s drive. Four of the 36 gave Power Red donations which, according to the Red Cross, use an automated process that separates red blood cells from other blood components and then safely returns plasma and platelets to the donor. Evidently, this provides nearly twice the amount of red cells as a traditional blood donation.

From the donations, 39 pints of blood were collected, which is equivalent to saving about 117 lives. Each unit (around one pint) donated can be split into three main components— red blood cells, plasma, and platelets. These components can save up to three lives.

Junior Kate Rose, when interviewed by the Lancer Ledger, said “I donated because it was a very easy way to help people and do the right thing.”

In addition, Divine Crilly, a senior who has donated his blood for the drive annually, had this to say as to why he participated: “…I am O-blood type… a lot of people are in need of O-blood.” Crilly is considered to be a universal donor due to his blood type, which allows medical personnel the opportunity to give his blood to anyone in need of it.

Ms. Vauter credited the success to the various teachers and staff members who encouraged and motivated students to donate. Student Council members also hung posters and distributed information to students during the school day.

Junior and Student Council member, Kevin Bruenjes, explained, “The blood drive was very easy to sign up for”. The requirements set forth by the Red Cross for students are that they must be 17 years old to enter and donate. If one was 16 years old, they had to bring with them a signed parental consent form. For health safety reasons, one must weigh at least 110 lbs. Students also needed to not have donated blood in the last 56 days.

When inquired on why Student Council hosts yearly blood drives, Ms. Vauter elaborated that Student Council coordinates with the American Red Cross annually because the need for blood donations is unending. However, only about 3% of age-eligible people donate blood yearly. As stated by The Red Cross, every two seconds, someone in the United States is in need of blood. Blood is essential for aiding patients to survive surgeries, cancer treatment(s), chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries.