Senior Class Trip: Bringing Back an Old Tradition

Image by Incygneia from Pixabay

On top of learning about the history of the area, seniors will be spend time riding roller coasters and taking a dinner cruise.

The year is half-way over, but it’s only getting busier for the Lakeland Regional High School’s Class Council of 2020, who are working their hardest to bring back the tradition of the senior trip and make it a reality. 

According to math teacher Ms. Jenni Harmon, who is the supervisor of the council, the trip “faded out due to a lack of student interest over the years.” Now, for the past three and a half years, the Class Council of 2020 has been raising money to help bring this tradition back by lowering the cost of the trip, allowing more students to attend. 

In order for the trip to become a reality, a minimum of 70 students are required. The more students that are signed up, the more likely the trip will happen not only for the class of 2020, but for the following classes as well.

Near the end of 2019, after deciding on a list of potential locations for the senior trip, the Class Council of 2020 emailed all members of the current senior class with a survey to decide where to go. Williamsburg, Virginia was the most popular location, according to the results of the survey, and it was decided that the seniors would go there in June of 2020. Originally planned as a fall trip, the senior trip was moved to June so that the seniors would have more time to fundraise, as well as end their final year at LRHS with a culminating experience together.

“Inside Victoria Cruise dining room – July 2006” by kthypryn 
Students will spend Friday night dressed in cocktail attire aboard the Spirit of Norfolk Dinner Cruise.

Currently, the trip costs a total of $350 to attend, but that covers transportation costs, the two nights at the hotel with breakfast, a fancy dinner cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk, a day at Busch Gardens, and half a day at Colonial Williamsburg. If fundraising goes well, students will be refunded the difference before the trip. Students are given the option to bring extra money if they wish to participate in additional events that have a separate cost. These events include the Cry Witch, Shadows of the Past, Escape Room: Spies and Lies, and To Hang a Pirate events.

The details of these additional events can be found in a PDF that was emailed to all seniors. Money will also be needed for lunch on Thursday and dinner on Saturday, and any students interested in purchasing souvenirs will have to bring additional money.

Students are reminded to check their emails for upcoming fundraisers that will help the senior class raise money for their trip. The Class Council of 2020 will be hosting fundraisers throughout the year, such as bake sales and Valentine’s Day flower sale. 

Seniors were emailed a form that must be filled out in addition to a permission slip that can be found in room 6 of the annex. Permission slip, form, and money are due and must be handed in to Ms. Harmon no later than February 3, 2020.