LRHS Celebrates NHS Inductees

Mr.+Novak+congratulates+the+new+members+of+NHS+in+one+of+his+famous+Lakeland+Live+Feed+selfies.+

Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed

Mr. Novak congratulates the new members of NHS in one of his famous Lakeland Live Feed selfies.

Lakeland Regional High School’s auditorium was glowing on the night of November 25, 2019 with the candles of the most recent National Honor Society (NHS) inductees and smiles of proud family members alike. 51 students were inducted into Lakeland’s chapter of the National Honors Society. 

In the ceremony, led by senior and NHS president Dylan Fedele, families watched their children receive certificates and candles as part of a tradition that has lasted 60 years. Speeches were heard from English teacher and the 2019 teacher of the year Mr. Eric White and assistant superintendent Mr. Michael Novak. 

Courtesy of Ms. Fiona Rose
New NHS members, juniors Katelyn McKeever, Emily Rose, Alana Beshaw, and Amber Abels, celebrate their accomplishment.

The National Honors Society is an organization of high school juniors and seniors nationwide who have been chosen based on the four criteria of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These qualities correspond with the four candles lit during the ceremony. In order to become a candidate for LRHS’s chapter, a student must have a GPA of at least 3.5, be involved in at least five school activities, and have at least 10 hours of community service each from freshman year and sophomore year. Fulfilling these requirements and receiving positive evaluations from various anonymous teachers will make it possible for a student to be accepted into the group. 

Once accepted, students are expected to complete services throughout the school year in an effort to give back to the community and better the educational environment. 

NHS is advised by math teacher Ms. Patricia Telschow, who was one of the driving forces in making the ceremony as enjoyable as it was. Ms. Telschow has worked with NHS for many years, and has been holding up a dedicated group ever since. 

The Lancer Ledger and Lakeland community congratulates the new members of NHS and wishes them the best of luck in this new chapter of their high school career.