Change of Teacher Day: A Lakeland Tradition

Photo courtesy of A. Truong

Seniors become the teacher during the Lakeland tradition of Change of Teacher Day

Many schools often hold special days and events to make being a student more fun. For Lakeland, one of those is Change of Teacher Day.

Change of Teacher Day is the one day of the year where seniors get to shadow and learn what a day in the life of one of our teachers is like. It allows students to help teach their classes and complete their teaching duties and classes. Some teachers and students even wear matching outfits.

Photo courtesy of A. Truong
Senior Chris McCormack and math teacher Mr. Truong take Change of Teacher Day very seriously – as indicated by the coordinating outfits.

One of those special duos was senior Chris McCormack and Mr. Andrew Truong, a math teacher at Lakeland. The two have had a close relationship since McCormack’s freshman year, even though he was never in one of Mr. Truong’s class. Fun fact: Mr. Truong once had to get an x-ray after Chris high-fived him because he thought his hand was broken.

Mr. Truong told The Ledger that why he has participated in this awesome event since 2010. “I participated in an event like this at my high school and I loved it. It gave me a chance to experience what it was like on “the other side” as a student. Because I enjoyed my experience, I wanted to give other students the same chance by volunteering.”

Senior Britney Tomasella has wanted to take part in Change of Teacher Day since freshman year. She was excited to shadow Mr. Damiano Conforti, a history teacher, who has been always been her favorite teacher.

Ryan Selleroli, another senior at Lakeland, shadowed Ms. Jessica Geyer of the business department . He was excited to get Ms. Geyer to shadow because she teaches his favorite classes (computer apps, accounting, and Pathways) at Lakeland, and he always enjoyed being in her class.

Many of the seniors had fun with Change of Teacher Day this year, and next year’s seniors are looking forward to shadowing their favorite teachers.