Night to Shine: A Life-Changing Experience

The special night starts with a walk down the red carpet.
Christiana Ranft

Night to Shine is our opportunity as a community to honor those with special needs. Created and run by the Tim TeBow Foundation, churches around the world host this event for honorees and volunteers ages 14 and up. Each venue will host the event in a slightly different way, but each will have the same main events including: a magical red carpet entrance, dancing, karaoke, a catered dinner, a Respite Room for parents and caregivers, and so much more. During the incredible night, there is a crowning ceremony where every honored guest will receive a crown or tiara at the same time around the world, giving us the opportunity to to celebrate so many prom kings and queens all at once.

On February 9, 2024, the local church Saint Francis of Assissi in Haskell will be hosting the nearest Night to Shine. There are plenty of ways to celebrate and become involved with this dazzling night. In order to volunteer or register an honored guest, use the link here.

Lakeland Regional High School teacher and Night to Shine volunteer Ms. Jamie Haftek-Shopspear told the Ledger, “Try something new would be my advice to anyone considering participating in Night to Shine. It is hard to leave the event without a smile on your face!”

A night where everyone shines! (Ms. Haftek-Shopspear)

Volunteers can be part of set up and clean up crews, to work in a specific room (karaoke, dance floor, respite, etc.), donate to the event, or to be the buddy of one of the many honored guests. Volunteers will receive a t-shirt to wear on the night of the event showing their designated station and buddies can visit the free boutique for a dress or tuxedo to wear alongside their honoree.

This night provides an opportunity to “light up the world,” but there is still more that can be done. It is estimated that one in every six people are diagnosed with a form of special needs (about 1.3 billion), but Night to Shine has only touched the lives of slightly over 555,000. Locally, the event has expanded to many and all look forward to the night each year.

Participants in the night, Lakeland Regional High School students and CORE program members Declan Buonomo and Caleb Rivera, are excitedly awaiting one of their favorite nights. Buonomo said, “I love to hang out with my friend[s]. We danced a lot!” Rivera added, “I am excited to dance to all of the music at Night to Shine.”

timtebowfoundation

Tim TeBow used his influence as a former NFL football player and broadcaster to create the Tim TeBow foundation in order to “fight for the people who can’t fight for themselves,” as reported in TeBow’s interview with ABC. The foundation created the event “Night to Shine” in 2014 saying its goal is to “get to every person with special needs around the world until all are celebrated.” He was inspired to create it after watching people with disabilities be left out of events and looked at differently and wanted to ensure a night where everyone, regardless of disability, was able to feel how incredible they truly are. TeBow describes the night to be “about people with special needs, it’s about giving them a voice, it is about celebrating them, it is about loving them and letting them know that their lives matter and that they are special, and giving them the time of their life.” TeBow makes an appearance at different venues throughout the night, watching so many people feel loved and honored.

To change lives and build new relationships the way TeBow has, volunteer at this year’s Night to Shine. In order to volunteer or register an honored guest, use the link here.