Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift: The “New Romantics”

Chiefs Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift romance has been confirmed, and the journey has been a fun one. (“Travis Kelce” by All-Pro Reels (CC BY-SA 2.0); “191125 Taylor Swift at the 2019 American Music Awards (cropped)” by Cosmopolitan UK (CC BY 3.0)

Was it an “Invisible String” that brought these two together? Or are Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift just a “Love Story” that was meant to be? Ever since she was seen sitting with Mama Kelce at a Kansas City Chiefs game, musician Taylor Swift and NFL tight end Travis Kelce have broken the internet with their new and very public relationship. 

After the end of a six year long relationship between Swift and British actor Joe Alwyn in April of 2023, no one was expecting a dynamic duo such as these two to emerge almost overnight. But even though it was soon and somewhat shocking to NFL fans and Swifties everywhere, there is no doubt that everyone is enjoying these two together. 

Swift has always thought it best to keep romance private, like she says in her song “Paris,” romance is not dead if you keep it just yours. However, many had been speculating a relationship between Swift and Kelce ever since he attended one of her concerts on July 8, 2023. He admitted on a podcast with his brother, Jason Kelce, that he put his number on a friendship bracelet in hopes that he could give it to Swift after the show. No one had known for sure, however, that this small detail could lead to so much more. 

Swift’s first Chiefs game was on September 24. There, she sat next to Kelce’s mom, Donna, and was seen conversing with the other Chief’s fans in the booth. Everyone was surprised to see her there, and as a result, a multitude of cameras were on her at all times. Not only were they on Swift, but there were also cameras on a smiley Kelce whose eyes kept wandering up to her seat several times during the game.

After the game, Kelce rented out an entire restaurant to celebrate the win with his team with Swift by his side. The couple was then seen driving away in a “Getaway Car,” with Kelce at the wheel. This was particularly special since Swift is almost never seen driving anywhere without her own security detail.

Entertainment Tonight

The NFL is taking advantage of this new and exciting relationship to appeal to Taylor Swift fans everywhere. The sports organization made advertisements to teach Swifties about Sunday night football, and are using Swift’s music in their commercials. Swifties have even begun impulsively buying tickets to Chiefs games, and buying merchandise from their new favorite tight end. It was reported that Travis Kelce jersey sales went up by 400% after Swift’s appearance at his game. Swift has introduced a predominantly male industry to her millions of devoted fans. The NFL is embracing all of their new fans with open arms and is using every opportunity to keep them hooked. 

The Kelce brothers have embraced Swifties as well in their New Heights podcast. In their many episodes, the brothers have talked about all things Swift. They took time to discuss football topics with the new swiftie fans and get them up to date, showing their appreciation for those just now getting involved with the sport. They also more recently talked about how all of the Taylor Swift coverage in the media might be getting a bit out of hand. Kelce said on the podcast that the situation is a tad overwhelming, but at the same time he thinks the NFL is just trying to have fun with it. 

CBS Pittsburgh

Not only are podcasts, and even the NFL using this relationship as a marketing tool, but certain brands are too. A cameraman at the Chiefs game snagged a picture of Taylor Swift eating chicken tenders with ketchup and ranch which sparked Heinz to create a new flavor. Now, Heinz is selling limited edition condiments, ketchup and seemingly ranch. Not only are people going crazy over these two but different brands are too. 

It is safe to say that the stars have definitely aligned for these two idols and the future holds great things for both of them. Together they have aligned the music industry with one of the most famous sports to create a fast growing, and positive fanbase. Who’s to tell what’s next on their journey?

View Comments (1)