All In Lancers: Spring Sports Preview

From scrimmages to competitions to first games of the season, spring sports are underway at Lakeland Regional High School, and the Lancers are ready to give it their all. The Lancers are ready to dominate and keep up with their tradition of success. Practices are filled with excitement for upcoming games, and athletes are getting ready to take on the spring season. Here is a sneak peak into the ongoings of some of the spring sport programs for the 2024 season.
All In Lancers: Spring Sports Preview
The boys spend their practice time wisely by focusing on their passing & spiking drills.
Boys Volleyball

The spring volleyball season has started and the boys are eager to put their best efforts onto the court. Practicing in the East Gym of Lakeland, the team prepares for their upcoming games there. Starting off with stretching, the boys then go into passing drills in order to warm up their hands. Next, they transition into rotations, establishing where each player will move during a game.

The boys spend their practice time wisely by focusing on their passing & spiking drills. (Courtesy of the Lakeland Boys Volleyball Team)
The boys volleyball team, pictured here, can be seen warming up their hands with a number of team activities.

The boys practice spiking and blocking drills. Their first match took place on April 2 against Eastside High School, where the Lancers took home a win with a score of 2-0. To date, the boys volleyball team has attended a scrimmage against Hackensack, and some upcoming games include an April 12 match against Clifton, an April 15 match against Jefferson Township, and an April 16 match against Wayne Valley. As a number of games and events start to approach, the team prepares to undergo an exceptional season!

The boy’s volleyball team, pictured here, can be seen warming up their hands with a number of team activities. (Courtesy of the Lakeland Boys Volleyball Team)
Boys lacrosse team attempting to score a goal on the opposing team.
Boy and Girls Lacrosse

The lacrosse season has begun and the girls and boys teams are working hard to get into shape. The Lancer athletes are training at practices and have started playing in games and scrimmages. Both teams have many senior captains riding out their last year on the field.

The girls lacrosse practices consist of warm-ups, passing drills, shooting drills, defense, and attack drills. The girls have had three scrimmages against DePaul, Montville, and Holy Angels. They played their first game on April 1 against Cedar Grove, and the games played after this were against Pompton Lakes, Livingston, and Indian Hills. The girls also participated in two team bondings so far – having a pasta dinner and taking a trip to Top Golf.

The boys lacrosse team has had two scrimmages so far against Hawthorne. Their first game took place on April 1 against Mahwah. The games played after were against Fair Lawn, Ramsey, and Paramus. Although they have had a rocky start, they continue to work hard in their practices that consist of warm ups, drills, and running.

Boys lacrosse team attempting to score a goal on the opposing team. (Courtesy of Ava Radice)
The LRHS baseball team in a huddle with their coach during a scrimmage.
Baseball

The LRHS baseball team started their season off strong. The Lancers previously made the trek to Orlando, Florida to scrimmage teams Menasha from Wyoming and Glenbrook from Illinois. The team has practice everyday in order to be as confident as they can be in their skills for each game. The opening game was scheduled against Wayne Hills on Tuesday, April 2 but got postponed to the fifth. The team had scrimmages against other schools to fill in this time gap and get back in shape before their opening game. This upcoming season, our Lancers will have a total of 20 in-season games, nine home, 10 away, and one to be determined.

The LRHS baseball team in a huddle with their coach during a scrimmage. (Courtesy of the LRHS baseball team )
The LRHS baseball team having a discussion with their coach after the end of a scrimmage.

Come stop by and watch our Lancers play against DePaul Catholic on Friday, April 12, at home. The LRHS baseball team is “coming for it all” this season so watch out for these Lancers!

The LRHS baseball team having a discussion with their coach after the end of a scrimmage. (Courtesy of LRHS Baseball )
The Lancers are preparing for a strong season in the indoor batting cage.
Softball

Softball has come back better than ever. They’ve had intense practices to prepare for their opening day on April 1 against Kennedy where they played their hardest, with varsity winning and JV tying. Likewise, varsity and JV both went against Wayne Hills on April 5 with varsity winning and JV tying. Check out their next game at Fair Lawn on Friday, April 12.

To prepare for what is starting as a successful season, the girls played in scrimmages against Rutherford and Ramsey. In addition, the Lancers went down to Florida to compete in March.

The Lancers are preparing for a strong season in the indoor batting cage. (Courtesy of LRHS Softball)
The team committed to an intense practice schedule to prepare for this season.

In a turn of events, Lakeland softball and Kinnelon softball joined forces this year to round out their roster. The team captains are LRHS seniors Lexi Callahan, Victoria Sabatelli and, Kinnelon senior, Jenna Dermksian. A focus of the team, which includes a lot of freshmen and Kinnelon players, is to continue to bond as the season progresses.

The team committed to an intense practice schedule to prepare for this season. (Courtesy of LRHS Softball)
The Lakeland track team huddles underneath a tent during their first scrimmage of the season.
Track and Field

LRHS track and field has come back better than ever. With returning championship athletes, the team is destined for success. On March 28, the team had their first scrimmage of the season. They won against Manchester High School and started off with some good marks.

The Lakeland track team huddles underneath a tent during their first scrimmage of the season. (Courtesy of Bethany Lamberti)
Hurdlers pushing through the rain during the 400 meter hurdles.

On April 9, Lakeland competed against West Milford and the girls team won. On April 12 and 13, the team will be going down to Wayne Hills for Passaic County Relays.

Hurdlers pushing through the rain during the 400 meter hurdles. (Bethany Lamberti)
Ethan Perez dominates in the 100 meter hurdles.

As far as practice goes, the team does a warm up lap on the track and stretches together. Then athletes separate to train for their events. The sprinters, jumpers, and throwers train on the LRHS campus. This differs from the distance runners who train around town. Practice is held everyday after school and Saturday practice takes place in the morning.

The Lakeland track and field team is ready to excel and score points in every event. All in Lancers!

Ethan Perez dominates in the 100 meter hurdles. (Courtesy of Bethany Lamberti)
1
View Comments (1)