Boys Lacrosse: A Tough Season Hard Fought

Courtesy of the LRHS Yearbook
Antonio Santora hard at work at one of the home games.

As the 2024 Lakeland Regional High School boys lacrosse season ends, the team fought through a hard season, ending in a record of 9-8.

On the season, senior starter Robert Gleason stated, “I would say that the season has had its ups and downs, but we ended up with a winning season and a conference title.”

The beginning of the season was a little slow for the team, with them losing their first four games against Mahwah with a score of 13-7, Fair Lawn with 6-3, Ramsey with 15-5, and Paramus with a close 6 – 5 loss. The team would eventually win their first game against Westwood with a score of 4-3, with the team then going on a four game win streak against Old Tappan (11-3), then Demarest (5-4), West Milford (7-6), and Wayne Hills (6-5).

Senior Kyle Wilber called the West Milford double overtime win the team’s best game in the season, while Gleason gave that title to the Wayne Hills game.

Unfortunately, the winning streak would end for the team with their games against Vernon(11-2) and Pascack Valley (10-5).

The team would then proceed to the quarterfinals of the Passaic County Tournament where they would win against DePaul with a score of 14-3. However, the team would lose against West Milford in the semifinals with a score of 11-4.

Following the loss to West Milford, the team would have a three game win streak against Passaic Tech (12-7), Pascack Hills (6-4), and Indian Hills (5-4). The season would end on a slower note for the team with a 12-8 loss against Mahwah.

Both the JV and the Varsity Lacrosse teams together for a team photo. (Courtesy of the LRHS Yearbook)

Gleason would also state, “I think the biggest improvement the team can make is putting in more work in the off season.” Wilber agreed, stating, “The team needs to improve on focusing on the game plans we have set for each game and playing at our own pace.”

Even with a somewhat bittersweet ending to the season, it was still a great season. Both members would also say for next season the most important thing to do is to have fun and play with passion in each game.