Cross Country 2023: Building on Success

Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook
The girls cross country team beams as they reach the end of a meet.

The Lakeland Regional High School cross country team had a rewarding season. Senior captains Kayla Barnhardt, Alexa Goll, Gicela Cruz, and Ilmi Kaba worked hard to motivate the team and bring everyone together to succeed as team and build on personal goals.

Senior captains Kayla Barnhardt, Alexa Goll, Gicela Cruz, and Ilmi Kaba smile for a picture at a meet hosted at Lakeland. (ed_brett)

Head Coach Domiano Conforti, and assistant coaches Frank Lamberti, Daniel Burkert, and Amy Horevay worked to set the team up for success. When asked about the team’s accomplishments, Coach Conforti explained, “We started the year as a rebuilding year and accomplished our goal and more. The girls team was Top 10 in North Jersey for the 5th year in a row and were runners up in the conference, county and State Sectional Championships. They also qualified as a team to run in the State Championship in Holmdel Park. The boys team saw increased numbers and grew into an incredible team that will be returning all runners except one for the next season.”

Boys cross country smiles as they run the track as a team. (Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook)

Boys Cross Country

The boys team had a solid season. They worked hard and did exceptional at the Bach, conference, and Passaic County Championship meets. They placed in the top ten at State Sectionals. Overall, they put their best effort towards reaching their maximum potential.

Girls Cross Country
As a whole, the girls team had a satisfying season. They started the season strong, placing first at the season opener. The team kept the momentum high as they placed second at the Bach, conference, and Passaic County Championship meets. The girls team placed third at State Sectionals, allowing them to move onto the NJSIAA Group State Championship race.

Team captains Barnhardt and Goll reflected on their cross country career. When asked about her favorite memory, Barnhardt said, “My best memory was my last ever high school cross country race. When I finished the race, I went to the ground and cried, watching the rest of my team coming in and just started crying on their shoulders, same with the coaches.”

The girls team is on the line and ready to race State Championships at Holmdel Park. (Bethany Lamberti)

Goll mentioned some predictions and goals for herself, saying, “As a senior, I do not plan on running cross country in college. I will be running track in college which I plan to achieve many more goals and grow as an athlete. Cross country was a sport that shaped me into the runner I am today. I am grateful I got to experience such a wonderful sport and community.”