Lakeland News
  • The Lancer Locker is open Tuesday thru Friday from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

LRHS Announces this Year’s Teacher & Education Support Professional of the Year

Mr. Thomas McCormack and Ms. Diana Matlosz – Individuals with Powerful Impacts on the LRHS Community
Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed
Mr. McCormack and Mrs. Matlosz after receiving news of their respective awards.

Social studies teacher and coach Mr. Thomas McCormack and school counselor Ms. Diana Matlosz received the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year and Education Support Professional of the Year awards at Lakeland Regional High School. Both Mr. McCormack and Ms. Matlosz are influential members of the LRHS community and deserving of this honor.

Teacher of the Year: Mr. Tom McCormack
When asked about his feelings on the award, Mr. McCormack said, “I am sincerely grateful for being named Teacher of the Year.” He added that he believes “this honor is not just for one person, but a recognition of many people’s efforts as well as a testament to the incredible support from students, colleagues, and the entire school community.” He explained that he wants to thank all of the students that have inspired him, the colleagues that have been hard working in collaboration with him, and the administrators that are always supporting him.

Mr. McCormack added, “This award serves as a reminder of the collective dedication to fostering a positive and impactful learning environment.” With bonds from teaching and coaching, Mr. McCormack says that he has found a sense of camaraderie and mentorship with many of his students. These connections are what helps this positive and impactful learning environment flourish.

Mr. McCormack concluded by saying, “Being a teacher and coach at Lakeland for the past 27 years has allowed me to be part of the lives of so many young adults, help shape their futures, and experience that genuine satisfaction of contributing to the growth and development of the Lancer community.”

Social studies teacher Mr. Damiano Conforti congratulated Mr. McCormack, saying, “If you look up Lakeland Lancer the first picture you will see is Coach Mac. He is a life time member of the community and embodies what it means to be a Lancer.” He says that Mr. McCormack cares about the LRHS community more than anyone else and that he absolutely deserves to be the Teacher of the Year for Lakeland and beyond. When Mr. Conforti joined Lakeland 20 years ago, Mr, McCormack had taken him under his wing, becoming someone to look up to. Mr. Conforti says that he will always cherish the memories he made working alongside Mr. McCormack and that he’s excited to see what the future holds.

Education Support Professional of the Year: Ms. Diana Matlosz
Ms. Matlosz cares deeply about being a school counselor, and this devotion she has is reflected by this award. Although at first she was overwhelmed by shock and anxiety, she feels that “receiving this recognition award is truly heart-warming,” and she “never imagined feeling such love and support.” She added, “Hearing the beautiful comments and write-ups from colleagues, students, families, and alumni really helped me understand the impact I have made for so many students, their families, and my colleagues.”

“I put my heart and soul into my role as a School Counselor in hopes that it will help make a small difference in someone’s day or future,” says Ms. Matlosz. She added, “The role of an education support professional is often a confidential one, making it difficult for others to completely understand what we do daily and the true impact we have is often not measurable.” However, that doesn’t stop her from being dedicated to her job and “watching tears turn into smiles” or “watching the weight of the college process melt off a student’s shoulders.”

School counseling director, Mr. Tim Conway, added to this sentiment, stating, “She is always working behind the scenes advocating for her students.” Mr. Conway continued by praising Ms. Matlosz for always helping students grow to reach their highest potential. “Ms. Matlosz is an amazing professional who goes above and beyond for her students. She does this with a kind and caring approach, because she genuinely cares for every one of her students.”

School counselor, Ms. Tara Ross, reports, “Ms. Matlosz is an integral member of the School Counseling Department and the entire Lakeland community.” She added, “Ms. Matlosz cares deeply about her students and always is willing to help anyone in need. It is a pleasure to work with her.”

Mrs. Matlosz wants to thank everyone she has worked with for their support, saying, “I am surrounded by some truly exceptional educational support professionals, teachers, administrators, assistants, and other staff. Many of these professionals have had a profound impact on me and have guided me to become the school counselor I am today.”

Congratulations to Mr. McCormack and Mrs. Matlosz, and thank you for being such an integral part of the Lakeland community.