National News Review – March 26, 2024

Read a highlight of the top news stories of the week, brought to you by the Lancer Ledger staff writers.
Lancer Ledger
Check in weekly for a national news update.

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Collision with Cargo Ship

On Tuesday, March 26th, the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed into the Patapsco River after being hit by a cargo ship. 

Baltimore Mayor, Brendon Scott, said he was aware of the incident, stating, “Emergency personnel are on scene, and efforts are underway.” Wes Moore, governor of Maryland, declared a state of emergency following the collapse, prioritizing the successful rescues of those caught in the collapse. Rescue crews are looking for seven people in the river who have still not been found. One person who was found after the collapse refused medical attention, while another was seriously injured, and taken to a local trauma center for treatment.

According to NBC News, Grace Ocean Private Ltd, the owners of the ship, have been investigating the potential cause of the incident, but they haven’t been able to reach any conclusions. The ship had two active pilots, a full crew, and no signs of oil pollution. The owners and managers of the company are now working with the government to find out the cause.

Named after the author of the “Star-Spangled Banner,” the Francis Scott Key Bridge is a 1.6 mile and four lane bridge that was listed in the top ten in the world.

Guardian News

Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Homes Raided

Homeland Security searched Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Holmby Hills and Miami homes on Monday as part of an investigation into sex trafficking allegations. The warrant allowing officers into “Diddy’s” homes originated from the prosecutors in the Southern District of New York and was assisted by HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and local law enforcement. 

Combs, who has been accused of sex trafficking and assault in three recently filed lawsuits, continues to deny these claims. One of the cases, Combs’ former girlfriend, Casandra Ventura, filed in federal court in New York’s southern district, where she has accused the rapper of many counts of physical and sexual abuse, as well as forcing her into sex trafficking. However, this case was later settled, with Combs’ attorney, Ben Brafman, who told CNN, “Mr. Combs’ decision to settle the lawsuit does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims. He is happy they got to a mutual settlement and wishes Ms. Ventura the best.” Later, two more civil lawsuits were filed in New York, yet again accusing Combs for allegations involving sex trafficking. Another woman, Liz Gardner claimed that he and another man had sexually assaulted her as well. Combs has been accused of countless sexual assaults, and in 1999 even pleaded guilty to harassment to a records executive. 

On Instagram, Combs wrote, “Enough is enough. For the last couple of weeks, I have sat silently and watched people try to assassinate my character, destroy my reputation and my legacy. Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.” Although Combs claims these allegations to be false, last month, producer Rodney “Lil Rod” Jones filed a federal lawsuit against “Diddy” with accusations of sexually harassing and threatening him for over a year, and that “Diddy’s” son, Justin Dior Combs, was “the victim of unsolicited and unauthorized groping and [sexual] touching.”

Homeland Security Investigations plans to release a further statement once more information is known and Comb’s lawyers are currently unresponsive to the claims made.

Israel Cancels Meeting With White House That Could’ve Called for Ceasefire In Gaza

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu canceled a delegation that was supposed to visit the White House this week. This meeting between Israel and the United States was supposed to detail a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, especially during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which ends April 9. President Joe Biden requested the delegation to also discuss the looming ground invasion of Rafah and for the U.S. to offer alternative options to reduce potential civilian casualties. 

After Russia and China vetoed a U.S.-sponsored resolution last week, the U.N. Security Council approved a new resolution yesterday, demanding an immediate humanitarian cease-fire in the Gaza Strip. The resolution would have also called for the release of hostages from Hamas then the ceasefire could lead to “a lasting sustainable ceasefire.” However, the U.S. abstained from voting for the Russian and China backed resolution, leading Netanyahu to accuse the U.S. of hurting Israel’s war effort by failing to veto the cease-fire resolution. Israel believes the chances of a hostage deal in the near future are “50/50 right now,” an Israeli official told NBC News today. The official said Israel and the U.S. are waiting for Hamas to respond to a proposal introduced in Qatar in recent days.