Lakeland Honoring Local Veterans

Joshua Codilla, Staff Writer

Lakeland Regional High School is honoring local veterans through the Veteran’s Brick Initiative. The Brick Initiative is a school wide fundraiser that honors those who have served in our armed forces by having commemorative bricks laid throughout the entrance of the school, fittingly starting with the area around the flagpole.

Quincy Jones
The Veteran’s Brick Initiative at Lakeland

The Brick Initiative does not only support our veterans, but also Lakeland Regional High School. The fundraiser is to aid the Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) in raising funding for scholarships for students. The project, which was spearheaded by Mr. Hugh Beattie, superintendent, and Chief Joseph Walker, chief of the Ringwood Police Department, with the assistance of Mr. Michael Novak, supervisor of humanities and world languages, has already been a great success with over 65 bricks commemorating our troops laid.

Lakeland Regional held a ceremony honoring those who served after the initial bricks were laid around Memorial Day 2018. The fundraiser is still ongoing, and will continue until the entire entrance area outside the high school is covered.

The way to get a brick and support our veterans is simple. Find the link listed as LRHS Honoring Veterans Brick Initiative on the school’s homepage or click here.