Ms. Kory Mellon

May 12, 2023

Ms Mellon has left an impression on Sebastian. She is not only a teacher, she is a friend. (Sebastian Rodriguez)

For this year’s Teacher Appreciation Week, I have chosen my ceramics teacher, Ms. Kory Mellon. Being this is my first year in high school, I do not have much experience with high school teachers, but I’m glad I got to experience the way Ms. Mellon takes charge in the classroom. When I first got to high school, I was scared of everything, including failure, but Ms. Mellon has impacted me in such a large way because she was the first teacher to show me that it was normal to fail and that no one is perfect. She has shown me to trust the process, because even if you take the required steps, life is unpredictable and you never know what may happen. 

However, she is not just an art teacher, as she sets herself apart from most teachers by being able to communicate with her students. Ms. Mellon makes the classroom feel safe, laughing at everyone’s jokes and shutting down the ones that are inappropriate. When interviewed by the Lancer Ledger, Ms. Mellon said, “It was being a college recruiter that pushed me to the precipice of being a teacher. I love working with the kids and being a teacher really feels like the right thing to do for me.”