The Cold Never Bothered Them Anyway: The Incredible 2023 Winter Track Season

Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed

Morgan Uhlhorn and Owen Horevay were surprised with personal fatheads made by their teammates for some extra special cheering on during their Meet of Champs races.

Despite the chilly temperatures and snow flurries, the winter proved to be something that could not slow the Lancers down. Lakeland Regional High School’s boys and girls winter track teams had a great season this year, continuing their streak of championship wins.

The teams excelled and preserved at all their meets, always putting forth their best efforts. The girls secured their victory at the Big North Independence Conference Championships, with the boys falling just short of first, but still taking an impressive second place. On an individual level, many Lancers themselves became conference champions: senior Nathan Caldwell in the 800 meter run, senior Owen Horevay in the 1600 and 3200 meter run, junior Alexa Goll in the 400 meter run, senior Morgan Uhlhorn in the 3200 meter run, and sophomore Laiana Anderson in the long jump.

And the success did not end there; the girls took second place at the Passaic County Championships and the boys took third, again with many Lancers individually claiming titles of their own. Of the athletes, junior Kyle Keyes won the 55 meter hurdles finals, sophomore Isabella Andruilli took the shot put title, Horevay and Uhlhorn took first in their 3200 meter runs, and Anderson yet again dominated the long jump.

Shot Put Coach Andruilli is all thumbs up when it comes to his hard-working throwers who all had a season full of triumph, personal records, and most importantly, fun! (Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed)

The boys had a very impressive third place finish at their sectional championships, and athletes on both teams yet again proved to be a force to be reckoned with. Horevay and Caldwell both qualified for group championships in two distance events, with Horevay taking first and Caldwell taking fourth in the 1600 meter run, and the duo going 1-2 for the 3200 meter run. Senior Reaghan Lomascola and Uhlhorn both qualified for the 3200 meter run at groups as well. Off the field, sophomore Brody McCormack placed third in the shot put, securing a spot for himself at group championships.

On the track at groups, Horevay became a state champion in the 3200 meter run; Caldwell took sixth place in the same race, ending his season off with a big personal best; and Uhlhorn took third in her 3200 meter race. McCormack finished in an honorable seventh place, with a near best throw. Horevay and Uhlhorn both qualified for the prestigious New Jersey State Meet of Champions for the 3200 meter run. Horevay took eighth in the state, finishing with a personal record of 9:13.77 and new school record. Uhlhorn finished 13th in the state, also running a personal best of 11:02.75. Horevay ended his season off running at the New Balance National Indoor Championships, running a 9:16 in the two mile, bringing home another school record from Boston.

Owen Horevay ended his season off with a bang, racing at the prestigious New Balance Nationals and bringing home a school record and personal best time. (Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed)
Remember her name: Laiana Anderson jumped her way to victory at the County Championships to win the long jump title, and she is just a sophomore! Big things are headed this Lancer’s way. (Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed)

Head coach Damiano Conforti is incredibly proud of his Lancers, and all of their hard work this past season. Without their dedication and determination, none of the team nor individual successes would have been possible. Despite the fact that this year’s graduating senior class will mean a lot of gifted athletes will no longer be on the team next winter, Coach Conforti is confident that there is still much young talent in the program. He explained to the Lancer Ledger how the young athletes, like the freshmen and sophomores, have much skill, and with more practice and dedication, these athletes will continue to grow and fill the shoes the seniors are leaving behind.

On behalf of the Lakeland community, The Lancer Ledger congratulates the Lancers on all of their great success on both a team and individual level. Their exceptional achievements and positive team culture instills much faith in the future of the program, and the triumphs they will accomplish down the line.