The Lancer Ledger

Filed under Opinion

Should College Athletes Be Paid?

For decades now, college athletes have been neglected. It shouldn’t be a debate whether or not college athletes should get paid. If an athlete is part of a billion dollar a year franchise and is a money machines for college programs, they should not still be a struggling, broke college student.

I have watched college athletics my whole life and followed this topic, which has been a huge sore spot in the college sports world for a while now. Many exceptional players have either decided not to play, went pro in other countries and even accepted money illegally from sponsors and boasters during their college career. This will continue to happen if there is no change in college sports.

CC Jericho DeviantArt.com (2bgr8STOCK)

Players for NCAA sports like basketball make college and corporations big money. For three weeks in March, college basketball is one of the most televised events in the world, making the NCAA $1 billion per year. According to multiple news outlets, in 2016, the deal between  the NCAA and CBS/Turner Sports for March Madness was extended from 2011 to 2032.
We’re talking almost $20 billion for THREE WEEKS of television per year. And, that is just one of the sponsors that the NCAA has. That does not include companies like Gatorade and Nike, other multi-billionaire companies. I’m sure these are also making the NCAA millions of dollars. After looking at these numbers, it is insane that college athletes do not get paid after all the work they put in for the NCAA and individual colleges.

However, the NCAA have proved stubborn on changing the rule the prevents athletes from being compensated. Even some of the top college coaches side with the NCAA. During an October 2018 news conference at the Atlantic Coast Conference for the NCAA college basketball season, Jim Boeheim, the coach at Syracuse said, “I think we can do as much as we can for players. The cost of attendance is good. They get more meals now so they can keep their meal money. I think those are all good things and I think more of those things should have been done.” Boeheim states the NCAA’s top reason not to pay athletes – simply because the university hooks these players up with food, clothes and a place to stay.

Personally, I think star college athletes deserve a little bit of the cut to what they earn for their program. However, I do not think the NCAA will budge anytime soon.

About the Writer
Joe Higgins, Staff Writer

Joe is a junior at LRHS and staff writer for The Lancer Ledger. This is his first year writing for the Lancer Ledger. He spends his time hanging with friends...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Should College Athletes Be Paid?”

1. Mrs. Cawley on January 2nd, 2019 11:45 am

Strong opinion piece!

2. Michael McKay on January 22nd, 2019 1:07 pm

I believe that this article is biased because it is not fair for other college athletes at the same division or lower because while other athletes that have unnatural talent, others do not have as much talent; therefore, leaving them with a lower advantage. Overall, bad article and it is not valid.

3. adviser on February 14th, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for the comment. Everyone is entitled to an opinion!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Xbox is Better than PlayStation

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Why School Should Start Later

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Why Gucci is Overrated

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Yearbooks: Memories, Not a Waste of Money

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Should Students Be Able to Leave for Lunch?

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Immigration Debate: The Land of the Free?

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

To Kneel or Not to Kneel

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Holidays: We Are Preparing Too Soon

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Turf Time: Time to Vote

• Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Opinion

Please, STOP Supporting Seaworld

The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School
Should College Athletes Be Paid?