LRHS Golf: Driving Home a Winning Season

Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed
The LRHS Golf team after they started their season with a win over DePaul.

The 2024 golf season was a great one for the Lakeland Regional High School golf team, with an incredible record and fantastic performances by several players.

The Ledger interviewed golf coach and physical education teacher Mr. Joseph Cervino, asking him to detail the outcome of the season. In response, he said, “We had a very successful season finishing with a 17-7 record. Best moments of the season were probably sweeping West Milford.”

Coach Cervino also said that the team’s top golfer of the season was sophomore Matthew VanderWeele. Despite this year being his first season participating in high school golf, “he finished as one of the top underclassmen in Passaic County.”

Not only did VanderWeele excel, but great performances were also had by senior Anthony Grubowski and juniors Ryan Giordano and Sami Essabbar.

In terms of next season, Coach Cervino predicts that, “the future for next season is extremely bright with [five] out of [six] starters returning.”