Lakeland Athletics Signing Day: A Day That Highlighted Success

A group shot of the seniors who committed to colleges on February
Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed

Lakeland Regional’s second and largest signing day has come and gone. On February 7, 2024, Lancer athletes officially signed a letter of intent to play their sport at the college that they committed to. Lakeland had eleven athletes sign a letter of intent on signing day.

Here’s who tied the knot:

Davin Battle
Battle signed to play soccer at Cairn University in Langhorne Manor and Middletown Township, Pennsylvania. Battle had the third most goals on the Lancers this fall, and looks to play striker on a talented Cairn Highlanders squad.

Kayla Barnhardt
Barnhardt officially signed a letter of intent to run cross country and track at Lander University in Greenwood, South Carolina. Barnhardt had an excellent senior season in Cross Country, being the number one runner on a talented Lancer squad, and earning first team all Passaic County honors in the fall. Kayla looks forward to continuing this success for the Bearcats.

Xavier Diaz
Diaz officially signed to play baseball at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, New Jersey. Diaz had an excellent junior year last spring, boasting a .274 batting average with an impressive three home runs and four triples. Diaz is looking forward to studying accounting or finance at FDU in the fall, and is looking forward to an exciting senior season this spring.

Sofia Donnelly
Donnelly signed to play hockey at Connecticut College in New London, Connecticut. The Lancers, with Donnelly’s help on defense, had a successful 12-10-2 season. Donnelly looks to continue her success by being a defenseman for the Camels next winter.

Alexa Goll smiles bright after winning the 400 meters and placing in several events at the County Championship. (Courtesy of @lakeland_lancers_track)

Alexa Goll
Goll signed to run track at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. Goll is coming off a strong winter track season, in which she was a Big North Conference and Passaic County champion in the 400 meters. Goll also had an impressive cross country season, where she placed 11th in all of Passaic county, good enough for second team all county honors. Goll looks to continue this success next year as a Bison, where she looks forward to studying psychology starting next fall.

Ashley Hammerle
Hammerle signed to compete in pole vault at SUNY Cortland in Cortland, New York. Ashley placed in both the Big North conference and Passaic county meets this winter, replicating a successful season last spring. Hammerle plans to study Physical Education at Cortland, and will look to continue her success in pole vault next spring for the Red Dragons.

Brian Hoffmann
Hoffmann signed to play baseball at Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania. Brian was a team captain on the Lancers squad last spring, a team that won the Big North Conference Independence division with the help of his leadership. Hoffmann looks to help captain the Lancers to success once again this spring, and study Business Administration with a focus in Sports Management next fall.

Kyle Keyes after setting his best time, a school record, and being allowed to move onto the Meet of Champions. (Courtesy of the Lakeland Live Feed)

Kyle Keyes
Keyes signed to run track and field at Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island. Keyes has had an excellent high school career at Lakeland, as he’s won or placed in a plethora of meets including his victory in the Passaic County Championships last winter in the 55 meter hurdles. He also placed in the county, conference, state sectional, and state group meets this year in the 55 meter hurdles. Keyes also got the opportunity to run in the New Jersey Meet of Champions, a huge accomplishment. On top of all these incredible accomplishments, Keyes holds the school record in the 55 meter hurdles. He looks forward to having a successful season this spring, and continuing his success from high school at Bryant.

Michael Sabric
Sabric signed to play football at Assumption University in Worcester, Massachusetts. Sabric had an excellent senior season, boasting an impressive 69 tackle statline, good enough for second most on the team. He was also a team captain for a Lancers team that made the state sectional finals. Sabric looks forward to studying Business next fall, and continuing his success on the gridiron.

Lauren Vignola
Vignola signed to play Lacrosse at Colby Sawyer College in New London, New Hampshire. She had a strong junior season last spring, scoring an impressive 48 goals and dishing out 8 assists, and her efforts helped the Lancers reach the Passaic County finals. Vignola looks forward to studying nursing at Colby Sawyer next fall.

Matthew Nicholson
Nicholson signed to play baseball at Drew University in Madison, New Jersey. He is coming into this new season fresh off of an excellent junior campaign, boasting a 1.51 ERA over 41.2 innings pitched. His efforts as the ace of the Lancers staff earned him first team all Big North Conference honors, helping Lakeland win their division as well. Nicholson looks forward to studying Finance at Drew next fall.

Congratulations to all signees! You represent Lakeland on and off the field in incredible ways, and the Lakeland community will be rooting for your continued success at the collegiate level.