Lakeland News
  • The Lancer Locker is open Tuesday thru Friday from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

Girls Wrestling: A “Takedown” Season

Courtesy of @lakelandlancers_wrestling Instagram
The Girls Wrestling team after their first tournament at Parsippany Hills.

Girls wrestling is an extremely fast growing sport, and Lakeland Regional High School had the most girls they’ve ever had in the 2024 season. Totaling 10 girls on the team, the season was one full of ups and downs.

Coach Joe Cervino expressed similar feelings to the girls, saying, “The season was a great success! We had the largest group of girl wrestlers in school history with 10 girls on the team. We had a lot of individual success and won many medals at the numerous tournaments we attended this season.”

Second year wrestler Olivia McCormick, junior, had the most wins this season with a record of 22-9. She was also a regional tournament finalist and placed sixth in states down in Atlantic

Practicing all together really brought the team closer and pushed more of the girls to work harder and rise to full potential. Overall, their season was successful, but the team was looking to score more wins both in and postseason.

Wrestlers on the team were senior Victoria Sabatelli, juniors McCormick and Brooke Post, sophomore Kate Eviner, and freshmen Mia Frasca, Luciana Gallagher, Ava Radice, Jillian Ricci, Amanda Scarpati, and Nataly Seda. The girls wrestling team also supported the boys on the team at other local matches and tournaments.

The girls wrestling team at a debut. (Courtesy of the LRHS Yearbook)

For next season, the team all hopes to get to states and to succeed even more than they did this season. Overall, this year’s season taught the girls the importance of hard work and where it can take you, and they all grew a bond and pushed each other to do their best.