Lakeland-West Milford Swimming Made a Splash

Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook
Junior Kate Petri swimming the 200 I.M.

While the Lakeland-West Milford 2023-24 swim season has come to a close, the memories created and records broken will last a lifetime. According to NJ.com, the girls team went 6-6 in meets, while the boys went 3-9, under LRHS teacher and head Coach Patty Kebrdle.

Even though girls and boys teams entered this season wary about having enough swimmers to fill the lanes after 14 seniors graduated last year, the team was able to rally and form close bonds that will last in and out of the pool. When asked about the team’s relationship, junior Rebekah Setti said, “This season was one of the best so far. I’ve never felt so close to a team and felt so cared for and loved by everyone. [I loved] seeing everyone at the end of my lane cheering me on while swimming, I felt so tired but knew I had to push for them.” The girls team was happily surprised with 26 swimmers, all of which contributed positively to the team’s success. Although the boys team is still continuing to grow, they had many personal accomplishments, including many records smashed.

The girls team after their round one state meet! (Christiana Ranft)

For the second time in team history, the girls team advanced to the first round of team states against Morristown. Senior captain Christiana Ranft told the Ledger, “even though the girls did not win, it was an honor to have the ability to compete against such fast swimmers and to have a close final score [106-64].” The girls team also won their meet against Ramsey (87-82) for the first time since the team’s start-up and edged out rivals, Pequannock, for a close win (88-82) in the last meet of the regular season, alongside of five other in-season wins and many successful county and conference championship races. Junior Emily Kebrdle played an important role in these victories, breaking school records in the 200 individual medley, the 100 freestyle, and the 500 freestyle. Ranft noted, “We are leaving the team in really good hands next season. The juniors will step up to be great captains and there is a lot of talent within the underclassmen. Hopefully more swimmers join next year and the team is able to be even more successful.”

The boys team after their meet against Clifton. (Christiana Ranft)

The boys team, led by senior captains Steven Bracken and Ashton Moses, had a fun-filled season with many personal best times and performances. With wins against Clifton (101-44), Passaic (99-55), and Pequannock (83-73), the boys are determined to continue to grow as athletes and hopefully win more meets next season. Seniors Bracken and Peter Sutula with sophomore Antimo Ferretti and freshman Nate Schouten set a new school record in the 400 yard freestyle relay. Schouten has been a great addition to the team, breaking individual school records in the 100 fly, 100 free, 100 back, 200 I.M., and the 500 free, as well being the first Lakeland swimmer to qualify for the New Jersey Meet of Champions in the 100 back. The Lakeland community congratulates Schouten on this outstanding accomplishment.

The Lakeland-West Swim Team had a fun, accomplished season, with a positive mindset and motivated swimmers. Junior Emily Keberdle told the Ledger, “Losing the seniors will be hard, but I’m hoping that the juniors will be able to step up [and lead] for next year.” The girls and boys 2023-24 season was full of everlasting memories and Lakeland congratulates the athletes and wishes them luck in future seasons.

The 2023-24 seniors after their senior night.
(Left to right: Kathryn Owens, Steven Bracken, Christiana Ranft, Ashton Moses, Peter Sutula, and West Milford’s Jilena Hass) (Christiana Ranft)
The team at a Friday night themed practice! (Christiana Ranft)