Lakeland News
  • The Lancer Locker is open Tuesday thru Friday from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

Lakeland’s New Teaching Staff of 2023-2024: What to Know

One may have seen some of these educators walking the halls, in a classroom, or had a quick conversation, but why did these teachers choose Lakeland and what should students expect?
Lakeland+welcomed+new+teaching+staff+in+the+2023-2024+school+year.+
Lancer Ledger
Lakeland welcomed new teaching staff in the 2023-2024 school year.

At the start of the 2023-2024 school year, Lakeland Regional High School welcomed an abundance of new teachers and staff. These educators are filling a variety of roles in several different departments. These new teachers include: Mr. David Falcon of the special education department, Ms. Deanna Maskley of the mathematics department, Ms. Alexandria Pagan of the video department, Ms. Pamela Roccisano of the special education department, Ms. Tara Roy of the science department, and Ms. Candace Urbanksi of the business department.

Mr. Falcon

Mr. Falcon (Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook)

Mr. Falcon joined LRHS this year with hopes to be a positive role model and support system for everyone within the school community. After graduating from Cairn University, Mr. Falcon says he was inspired by “two great teachers who helped shape the person I am today, and I want to impact others the way they impacted me.” In order to make this impact on the next generation, Lakeland was the perfect fit for him. He told the Ledger he chose Lakeland because of “the welcoming nature of all of those I met on my initial visits, and once I stepped foot on campus for the first time I knew it was where I was supposed to be.” To add to this “welcoming nature” Mr. Falcon wants to get to know everyone regardless of whether or not he is their teacher or coach and to be there as someone to talk to.

In hopes to see where his students are passionate and where they struggle to find the most effective teaching strategy and problem solving skills. By being directly involved with his lessons and being active in his teaching he demonstrates an admirable level of care.

Ms. Maskley

Ms. Maskley (Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook)

After attending Ramapo College of New Jersey, Ms. Maskley knew that she wanted to return to Lakeland as her teaching career took off. She told the Ledger that Lakeland was the perfect fit for her because she “wanted to give back to the community that shaped [her] into the person [she is] today.” In order to keep students engaged in the content, she tries to “make each and every lesson relevant to their everyday lives” by comparing topics to different areas of extracurriculars her students are interested in. That way, the work feels less like work and more conversational and enjoyable for everyone.

Ms. Maskley’s hope in becoming a teacher was to help her students succeed not only in the classroom, but in all aspects of their lives. She wants to be “not only someone they can count on, but someone who they know will always show up for them.”

Ms. Pagan

Ms. Pagan (Courtesy of Ms. Alexandria Pagan)

Ms. Pagan started at Lakeland in November after never expecting to become a teacher. After graduating Magna Cum Laude from Florida State University with a bachelor’s of science in digital media production and communications and a minor in general business, Ms. Pagan went onto NBC Universal for a year and a half. When a job opportunity opened in Lakeland’s video staff she decided it was best to take a risk on something new. Ms. Pagan told the Ledger that “being an alumna of Lakeland and also having taken the video production class throughout my time here, it excited me to be able to come back and teach what I love in the place where I fell in love with it.” Since joining the video production team, Ms. Pagan has also become an advisor for Speak With a Peer or S.W.A.P.

You never know where you will end up, and Ms. Pagan is another example of that. A change of career is always a risk, but Ms. Pagan has embraced it lovingly saying, “I can tell that I made the right decision and I have been fully embracing this new experience.”

Ms. Roccisano

Ms. Roccisano (Courtesy of Ms. Pamela Roccisano )

Ms. Roccisano started her career as an ABA paraprofessional, her love for the job inspired her to go back to William Paterson University to attain her special education certification. She chose Lakeland because of its “welcoming environment and location” and has been thoroughly enjoying her time here. To motivate her students, Ms. Roccisano uses daily programming and a reward system. She has learned a lot from the students in the wonderful LEARN program and looks forward to spending more time with them.

Ms. Roy

Ms. Roy

Ms. Roy has noticed that students are often stressed about having everything figured out, and while having goals are good, life can take you in different directions, which relates to her path in becoming an educator. Although she always enjoyed science, Ms. Roy entered Marist College with no plans on becoming a teacher. She told the Ledger she always “liked exploring this world full of mystery and knowledge, especially doing hands-on science.” After realizing her passion for sharing her knowledge and hearing she had a talent for teaching, Ms. Roy knew this was the job for her. Lakeland was recommended to her by a fellow teacher, and she fell in love with the district during the interviewing and touring process. She felt “such an awesome and supportive atmosphere of teachers and staff” and knew this was the place for her.

As a teacher Ms. Roy has had to learn to adapt and adjust, while staying relatable to her students. Her methods are changing based on the class, as she is new to the job and still finding what works best. By setting clear expectations, encouraging academic honesty, and incorporating public speaking assignments into her class, her students are learning essential skills for life and to move onto higher education. She also awards high and improved grades, as well as creativity and behavior improvements with little prizes to keep students motivated.

Ms. Urbanski

Ms. Urbanski (Courtesy of the LRHS Yearbook)

Ms. Urbanksi started a corporate career after attending Point Park University receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Dance with a minor in business, and Caldwell University receiving a Masters of Business Administration. She then spent “26 years working with global fashion brands and well-known retailers as a marketing and sales professional.” She told the Ledger that her “super power is brand and trend storytelling.”

After leaving her business career, Ms. Urbanski knew she wanted to give back to younger generations and share what she has learned over the years. She then attended William Paterson’s CTE Alt Route Teaching Program. Lakeland’s “ broad range of electives that allow students to explore areas of interests and possible future careers” helped Ms. Urbanksi decide that Lakeland was the place for her. In order to help her students grow, she has tried to create “an environment where students can work together to problem solve and complete assignments and projects that practically apply the content.”

The Lakeland Regional High School community is thrilled to welcome Mr. David Falcon, Ms. Deanna Maskley, Ms. Alexandria Pagan, Ms. Pamela Roccisano, Ms. Tara Roy, and Ms. Candace Urbanksi to the staff.