Lakeland News
  • The Lancer Locker is open Tuesday thru Friday from 2:35 p.m. to 3:05 p.m.
The Student News Site of Lakeland Regional High School

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

The Lancer Ledger

Girls Volleyball: Rocky Start Leads to Improved Season

Junior+Brianna+Rodriguez+sets+the+ball.+
Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook
Junior Brianna Rodriguez sets the ball.

The girls volleyball team had an unsteady start of the year but continued to improve throughout the 2023 season.

The season ended with a record of 3-19, with victories over Kennedy and Eastside. On the overall season, Coach Brian Phillips shared, “The girls were great and working hard, we had a rough start but improved more towards the end of the season.”

With 14 graduating senior players in the 2022 season, the team had to rebuild. New members from every level were put on varsity and practiced hard to hone their skills. Together, they were able to create a positive team atmosphere and help each other improve throughout the season.

This year’s 2023 varsity team had a lot of growth this season. (Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook)

Madelyn Jones, varsity player and 9th grade , told the Ledger that the team’s “Energy was very high and nothing could let their spirits go down.”

Both Coach Phillips and Jones shouted out players who helped the team find their stride. Philips mentioned seniors Lainey Galligan and Abby King and junior Brianna Rodriguez as team leaders. Jones commented that Senior Sophia Ascenzo was an outstanding player this year.

The team had strong team spirit and were known for their unbelievable skills on the court. They work very hard during practice and always give their best effort in games. Philips added, “The girls were great and working hard, we had a rough start but improved more towards the end of the season. There will be much more improvement over the summer for a better season next year.”

They had some losses but the girls never stopped trying, kept giving their all, and cannot wait for next season’s comeback.