LRHS Girls Tennis Team is Only Getting Better

Coach Joseph Cervino poses with the varsity players. (Courtesy of LRHS Yearbook)

The Lakeland Regional High School girls tennis team served up a fantastic fall 2023 season with a record of 13-6.

Senior and one of the team’s captains, Katherine Geisel, reported that the team qualified for states, but unfortunately they got out in the first round. However, Geisel said that all of the players have shown significant improvement and that she’s “so proud of everyone” for the accomplishments that they made this season. The team had many individual accomplishments in all conference and all county tournaments as well, with many of the players receiving awards.

According to Geisel, one of the highlights of the season was the match against West Milford, where after a suspenseful tie-breaker, they managed to bring home their last win on their last match of the season.

The team has proven themselves to possess admirable sportsmanship. To show this, Geisel shared the story of freshman player Leila Kaba. According to the captain, Kaba was in a match against a girl from the Wayne Valley team with horrible sportsmanship; however, Kaba did not crack, and although Lakeland did not win the match, Geisel said, “It taught us the importance of being respectful.”

The girls tennis team and coaches at their end of year dinner.
(Courtesy of the Lakeland girls tennis team)

Although she is graduating, Geisel has high hopes for next year’s team. She says that she hopes the team will win against Wayne Valley and will keep performing as well as they had been and make it to the finals in counties and states.

The LRHS girls tennis team is aiming high for the future, and they will certainly keep pushing further and further.