LLDT: Still Going Strong

Despite the pandemic, Lakeland Regional High School’s varsity dance team (LLDT) turned into a terrific winter season. The team, composed of two freshmen, four sophomores and four juniors, participated in two virtual competitions with teams from other schools in the state. 

Coach Nicole Secor told The Ledger that the high points of their season were getting to “bond together… as a team.”

(L to R) Top: freshman Isabella Bozan and sophomore Ava Hahn. Middle: sophomore Paige Kohlhase, juniors Brynn Mahurter, Julia Rifflard, and Olivia Sabatelli. Bottom: sophomore Allison Crone, freshman Keira Welsh, junior Leigha Thompson, sophomore Caitlyn Finn. (Courtesy of Nicole Secor)

Traditionally, the dance team would travel to different high schools around northern New Jersey to compete in the pom and jazz categories. This year, they only competed in pom and did not travel. Instead, they got to compete from their own Lakeland home. Their dance was videotaped and sent to the judges, who then live streamed each performance as well as the awards afterwards. 

Freshman Isabella Bozan told The Ledger that was her favorite moment of the season because “everything [they] worked really hard for was finally coming to life!”. 

LLDT ended their competition season strong by earning multiple awards at their two virtual performances. They earned second place out of three teams at the Montclair State University Virtual Dance Team Competition, and came in fifth out of ten teams at the Dance Team Union Spring Virtual Championship (DTU is the national competition that they usually travel to Florida for). They also earned the Entertainment Award at MSU.

Bozan said the dynamic of the team was great and that she felt included by the other members. She expressed that junior Olivia Sabatelli, one of the captains, was an influential team member. “She tried her hardest to make sure everyone knew the choreography and could feel comfortable coming to her if we didn’t!” 

Coach Secor agreed, saying that Sabatelli and fellow captain junior Brynn Mahurter, “really contributed to the team’s morale this season.” The two “were both very supportive and encouraging.”

While the season was lackluster in many ways, Lakeland Dance Team still triumphed over the odds to make it spectacular. It’s uplifting to see LRHS students still getting to enjoy the things they love amidst the pandemic. Hopefully next year’s season will bring more opportunities to the team.